Modifying a calton altz mount to become one of the best everHi

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
superiorstream

Modifying a calton altz mount to become one of the best everHi

Post by superiorstream »

Hi All
I bought a calton altz mount from koko and had taught of remounting the dovetail saddle so that it axis is horizontal when the mounted scope swing vertically.
Koko got this brilliant idea of making a plate for this.
In the upcoming photo ,l will explain how.......by the way we are still fabricating the parts.
......to be continued.
superiorstream

Re: Modifying a calton altz mount to become one of the best everHi

Post by superiorstream »

Topic error......should be.....ever in performance.
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Post by akdwivedi »

interesting.. show us some pictures and drawings. is the carlton alt az mount a top loading mount ratther than sideways like the giro, evo or azmp.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi akdwived
I will certainly post pic of the modification......and such has to go through koko.
Also,l hope to use this platform to show my mod of
1)the altz 3 mount so that it can swing to a higher angle without slipping occur
2)the takahashi ta..gu mount.,making it more steady.
3)converting a equatorial mount to a altz mount using NO
counter weight.
Also l personally feel that this modified carlton mount is better than all the above and also better than the manfratto 410,405 ,or the 400.
The only challenge is......can it take the C11.,and if it does then l consider it better than the T-Rex as its much lighter.it
frwaf bfds

Post by frwaf bfds »

Hi, please keep us updated on your progress.
I'm interested because I bought a carton alt-az mount as well. Is there an estimate on how much such a modification would cost?
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Post by akdwivedi »

superiorstream wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:55 pm Hi akdwived
I will certainly post pic of the modification......and such has to go through koko.
Also,l hope to use this platform to show my mod of
1)the altz 3 mount so that it can swing to a higher angle without slipping occur
2)the takahashi ta..gu mount.,making it more steady.
3)converting a equatorial mount to a altz mount using NO
counter weight.
Also l personally feel that this modified carlton mount is better than all the above and also better than the manfratto 410,405 ,or the 400.
The only challenge is......can it take the C11.,and if it does then l consider it better than the T-Rex as its much lighter.it
Fantastic.. looking forward to these mods. I did convert a orion eq-3 atroview to alt az mode and it works like a charm. but as you said, it does require counterweights as the head tilts to one side of the mount.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Parts received and mod made.....it works like a charm.
Anyway we made 4 parts to mod 4 mounts......so depends on whether machinest willing just to make one.
Koko got the contact. We pay hundred for it as its made
locally......so labour cost, rental etc.
Photo taken......will give it to koko for upload next time we met.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi all interested
And today changed all outside facing screws to stainless steel ones.l do notice one thing......
The horizontal rotation control mechanism had a bit of backlash. Anyway doesn't matter as its 2nd hand.
Vertical control looks ok.
Ready for the c11 test now. Will inform the result later.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Now continue
I did mount my C11.....weigh 12.5kg on the mount and well it works.A few things to note
1) I have to change the tripod leg to the longest one I have
so that the spread is maximum ,resulting that wherever the scope goes horizontally the C. G. of the scope don't fall OUTSIDE OF THE TRIANGLE FORM BY THE TIP OF THE LEG OF THE TRIPOD.(stable equilibrium achieved....sec 4 physics!)
2)Since one of the slow motion hub.....the horizontal one.....
lies inside the tripod hub,no half pier can be added.
This resulted in the fact that as the scope....c11....hit the tripod. Hence the zenith cannot be reach. The highest angle reach lies between 70 to 80+ degree.
Other than the above,its generally smooth with no backlash or play created after mounting such a heavy scope.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Now rank my self? modified scope according to the load.....1)sky T ⁰mount on a modified ⁰surveyor tripod
Leg. Max load c11......12.5kg. Slow motion enabled.
2)This carlton mount. Slow motion enabled.
Max load 12.5kg.
3)Takahashi ta gu modified mount. Max load 8+ kg. Can take a solar max 90 precisely. It should be noted that the GSO alt-az mount can be similarly modified ,but since the slow motion has backlash I usually don't do it due to cost.
4)Equatorial CG5 ,GBD,etc converted to a Alt-az version. See attached photos. Note that in this mode,no counterweight required. Max scope wt allowed 8 to 9 kg.
5)The Az-3 mount. I modify it so that it becomes a horizontal mounting mount. In this configuration swinging the scope become easy and requires NO COUNTER WT.
The top saddle mounting version do need various counterweight and increases as the scope reach the vertical.Max load approx 5kg.

That all that I had done. Photos .....let koko load it. I don't know how.