Restarting my astronomy journey

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
orion
Favourite scope: Celestron Nexstar Evo 925

Restarting my astronomy journey

Post by orion »

I've been absent from my very first passion for the past 12 years.

Time flies. I was busy pursuing my career, at that time I just took on a new job role in a large conglomerate.

Fast forward 12 years, I have finally found the time to restart for my very first hobby which got me started on this journey like 41 years ago [ yeah, I'm THAT old ]

A lot has changed since, so many new technologies and apps to learn up - astronomers today are spoilt for choice when it comes to tools and tricks.

Back in the day, all was done manually, frustratingly slow and pains taking.

Anyhow, I am restoring my good 'ol 37 year old Meade Starfinder 826C 8n f/6 Newtonian, which has been in cold storage. The mirrors are in surprisingly good condition. I mated it with an LXD-75 GE mount back in 2005, with a #497 Autostar controller.

Unfortunately the LCD screen of the handbox is dead but the rest of the electronics are still working perfectly. I have managed to connect to my laptop computer and got it working again.

My journey is about to start again !

Helm, lay in a course for Alpha Orinis, warp factor 8, engage!

P.S. Looking for some astro buddies based in Kuala Lumpur / Malaysia - would be great to have a chat over coffee. Please PM/DM me for details.
meade826C.jpg
meade826C.jpg (95.27 KiB) Viewed 21587 times
Garden variety geek, Numismatist, CIO, Trekkie

Meade Starfinder 826C - 8 inch f/6 Newtonian reflector [1985 ed.] with LXD-75 GE mount and Autostar #497 controller.

http://astronomymalaysia.blogspot.com/
byang

Re: Restarting my astronomy journey

Post by byang »

Hello there and welcome back to the hobby! I supposed now you are a happy retiree with plenty of time to explore the night sky again? How's sky condition of KL? Wonder if it is as light polluted as ours in SG...
orion
Favourite scope: Celestron Nexstar Evo 925

Re: Restarting my astronomy journey

Post by orion »

Haha! Can't afford to retire just yet.

KL city center can be quite bad but I live about 37km away, so I suppose it is better out here. Just moved to this new area and still scouting around for an ideal location in this neighborhood.

This month is bad - raining every day, no chance to field test my updated set up.
Garden variety geek, Numismatist, CIO, Trekkie

Meade Starfinder 826C - 8 inch f/6 Newtonian reflector [1985 ed.] with LXD-75 GE mount and Autostar #497 controller.

http://astronomymalaysia.blogspot.com/