Random question about transportation of equipment

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: Random question about transportation of equipment

Post by Hardwarezone »

Can consider using 4 wheel shopping cart
cost about $38 to $44 , with bigger size about $5 more

Personally I haven't use this for astronomy purpose
my concern is about the vibration since it can pickup all the little bumps on the pedestrian path
it handle 10-15kg load without issue and max I attempted was 20kg load at void deck it rolls smoothly
this cart the main weakness are the front 2 smaller wheels which can break , encountered 2 times not my cart

if I use this cart , I can bring more stuff like foldable chair and not arrive on site all sweaty , reduce the chance of slip disc injury ,
but I think the vibration may be harmful to the gears inside mount or telescope collimation
maybe can pad the bottom of the cart with old pillow and put 1 layer of hard plastic tray or cardboard above
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Random question about transportation of equipment

Post by Airconvent »

For a lighter setup, just get a backpack (Decathlon has alot of models), stuff it with foaming and cushion. Wrap your OTA in a bubble wrap and you have a portable grab and go scope to carry around. I previously used this for my Nexstar 8SE.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets