Where to find the stargazing groups?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
an_unknown_star

Where to find the stargazing groups?

Post by an_unknown_star »

Hi I am new to stargazing. I am interested to buy my own camera and telescope for astrophotography, but I would like to join a stargazing session first to try out and get recommendations, instead of just jumping in.

However I found few groups. I found The Astronomical Society of Singapore's website but they didn't have many events. I found that the singapore science center had stargazing session every friday but I am worried that there will be too many kids..

Luckily I found this forum, there seems to be a group at CCK..

Wonder if there are any groups I can join? Or recommendations/tips for beginners to start astrophotography.

Also thinking if it is possible to get a coach/get free tutorial from buying second hand astrophotography setup..
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: Where to find the stargazing groups?

Post by Hardwarezone »

I'm from the CCK group and we have monthly session , visual observation is dependent on clouds.
If cloudy by 6pm then the equatorial mount won't be brought there , only alt-az mount which is not useful to demo the mechanics of deep space astrohphoto.
2 guys here have experience with astrophotography you can ask them.

There is a big group on facebook StargazingSG.

I don't have experience with astrophotography , but you should expect to put 1/2 or maybe 3/4 of overall budget into a very good mount for high tracking accuracy.