Help to Plate Solve

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
hiewliwen

Help to Plate Solve

Post by hiewliwen »

Hi, can anyone with a plate solver or experience using that software help to locate where I am looking at?
I was doing visual observation on the 17 Nov 2023 about 9:30pm or so and trying to look for the Pleiades manually. I positioned my Skywatcher Explorer 150P 750mm newt down from where Jupiter was.
Did I get point to the clusters or was I way off. I took a photo with my handphone thru the eyepiece just to get the position of the stars.

~wen
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Help to Plate Solve

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
To hop there, look for Orion. Above the head of Orion is Taurus and its brightest star Aldebaran. If you draw a line from the left shoulder of Orion (Betelgeuse) through Aldebaran, you will get to the Pleiades. In fact, you can see it as a blurred patch with your naked eye. Just scan the region above Orion. Looks better on a bino though as it is a wide field object.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
hiewliwen

Re: Help to Plate Solve

Post by hiewliwen »

Airconvent wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:30 pm Hi
To hop there, look for Orion. Above the head of Orion is Taurus and its brightest star Aldebaran. If you draw a line from the left shoulder of Orion (Betelgeuse) through Aldebaran, you will get to the Pleiades. In fact, you can see it as a blurred patch with your naked eye. Just scan the region above Orion. Looks better on a bino though as it is a wide field object.
Thanks for the tips. Gonna try again soon when the weather holds up.
~wen