Moving back to Singapore, so astrophotography can really be done?

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
cytan299

Moving back to Singapore, so astrophotography can really be done?

Post by cytan299 »

Hi everyone,
First time poster here. I plan on moving back to Singapore after spending decades overseas. I have pretty good astro equipment (Tak and Astro-Physics stuff) and would sell them if astro-photography is not possible in Bortle 8 to 9 skies. I'm sure I have to modify what I do when I'm in Singapore. Perhaps instead of DSOs, I can do solar and planetary instead. Or only narrow band DSO is another possibility.
My questions:
  • What type of astrophotography do people do in Singapore?
  • How many nights a year is night photography even possible in Singapore?
Thanks for any info. And I'll be living in the east coast, if that helps.

cytan
frwaf bfds

Re: Moving back to Singapore, so astrophotography can really be done?

Post by frwaf bfds »

Solar/planetary is very good in singapore. Due to being on the equator seeing is excellent and the planets rise to high altitudes.

Deep sky is doable but mostly restricted to narrowband imaging.
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

frwaf bfds wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:10 pm Solar/planetary is very good in singapore. Due to being on the equator seeing is excellent and the planets rise to high altitudes.

Deep sky is doable but mostly restricted to narrowband imaging.
Thanks for your reply. Approximately many clear nights are there per month? Hopefully at least 1 or 2 :) And how does smoke impact Singapore day/nights for imaging?

cytan
frwaf bfds

Post by frwaf bfds »

Depends on the month. Some months seem to have clear skies more than half the time. During rainier months like now it's almost never clear. As for smoke, I never found it to be a big factor.
cytan299

Post by cytan299 »

I'm glad that some months have 50% clear skies. I've imaged through smoke before and the results are not good: everything looks brown.
Good to know is that there's hope :)

cytan