Eyepieces from binoculars and modification.

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
superiorstream

Eyepieces from binoculars and modification.

Post by superiorstream »

Hi l had acquired quite a number of old bino and realised that the poro prism is difficult to clean amd fungus keep coming back. Hence l started to dismantle the bino and use its parts for various purposes.
1) convert the bino eyepieces into telescope usable eyepieces.
......to be continued.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: Eyepieces from binoculars and modification.

Post by Hardwarezone »

Minor brighten , resize edit and upload for threadstarter.
Didn't resize until very small as I think it's necessary to see the smaller details for those interested.

A

B

C

D

E

F
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi
Thanks Hardwarezone for the uploading.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi
The main idea is to enclose the binocular eyepiece with a container made from camera adapter ring and filter rings.....or alternatively from pvc or plastic tube and then adapt it to a 42mm to 1.25 eyepieces tube. This will enable you to put it into a telescope that can take 1.25 eyepieces.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi
The main idea is to enclose the binocular eyepiece with a container made from camera adapter ring and filter rings.....or alternatively from pvc or plastic tube and then adapt it to a 42mm to 1.25 eyepieces tube. This will enable you to put it into a telescope that can take 1.25 eyepieces.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Onee warning.....
This ....way of making eyepieces is by no way cheap. A good source of such rings is aliexpress . As for me it come from my collection which started since 12 years old.

superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

I wish to thanks all who had sold me equipments.....they included koko ,Alvin(great red spot), Remus ,rlow ,Hardwarezone and also those vendor at sungei rd and kreta ayer flee market.
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Post by akdwivedi »

very interesting.. are these eyepieces as sharp as the ones designed for telescopes. I see a good number of posts using microscope objesctives in telescopes (with some 23.5mm to 1.25mm adapter), but a binocular eyepiece is definitely new for me.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi akdwivedi
The quality of the eyepiece obtained depends on the eyepiece of the original bino manufacturer..
As a general rule those branded bino produce super sharp eyepiece at the center....but in general blurred out image at the edge. Very rare to find a ....sharp to the edge ep.
However many ep produce a large apparent field of view like 60 or even 80 degree field of view ,making such ep good for locating objects.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

As for the focal length of the ep obtainable ,its between 12mm to 25mm(generally assume the objectives is a f4 to f6 and calculate given the magnification of the bino).
Quite difficult to get 3.5mm and below ep and hard to get 32mm and above ep in this way.
Anyway l was able to get pentax and kowa converted bino ep in this way and they prove to be very sharp at the center. You can actually cut out the blur edge using washer,but l didn't.