Losmandy GM8 (and other alternatives for a new mount)

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
harlequin2902

Losmandy GM8 (and other alternatives for a new mount)

Post by harlequin2902 »

For those who've owned this black beauty before, can someone tell me :

1. What is the approximate cost of shipping it by insured air parcel to Singapore ? Am asking this here because the US dealers are taking quite a looong time to get back to me on this :x .

2. Is there a cheaper tried, tested and proven alternative for making it astrophotography ready (i.e being able to set the mount to our low regional latitidues such that the counterweight shaft does not hit the legs) ? The extension pier itself costs US$300.00 :shock:

Thanks.
Last edited by harlequin2902 on Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samuel Ng
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Losmandy GM8

Post by VinSnr »

harlequin2902 wrote:For those who've owned this black beauty before, can someone tell me :

1. What is the approximate cost of shipping it by insured air parcel to Singapore ? Am asking this here because the US dealers are taking quite a looong time to get back to me on this :x .

2. Is there a cheaper tried, tested and proven alternative for making it astrophotography ready (i.e being able to set the mount to our low regional latitidues such that the counterweight shaft does not hit the legs) ? The extension pier itself costs US$300.00 :shock:

Thanks.
Dude, shipping by insured air for this is gonna cost a bomb. I think it should be around US$400...the weight is quite incredible.

As for making it AP ready, I have not seen the G8 before..only the G11. Can't comment on this one
elton

Post by elton »

Sam, I was selling it for 1800 including extension pier recently and hardly anyone wanted :) Don't think there is a way out of the extension pier. The GM8 half-pier only costs about US$120, cheaper if used. Don't confuse with the G11 pier. For the price of shipping, you can buy a discounted plane ticket to US and pick it up. Total weight is not that bad cos I've been able to carry the whole mount in and out of the backyard (without scope and counterweights). The GM8 is quite a bit smaller than the G11 cos not only the head is smaller, so is the tripod and half pier. Better for you to view a GM8 in SG before deciding though, you know where to find one ;)
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Ok, thanks for your replies, Vin Snr and Elton.

Was actually thinking of getting just a simple HEQ5 to replace the mount I just sold, but I have to wait till early March before they have it back in stock ... I don't think I want to wait that long 'cause my grounded scope may just miss any Mersing trip if one happens to be organized in Feb - mid March period.

Have not ruled out the Giro 2 either, since I already ordered a HEQ5 steel tripod - originally meant as an upgrade for my GP but even before that tripod arrives, the mount has been sold :mrgreen:
Samuel Ng
addy

Post by addy »

harlequin2902 wrote:Have not ruled out the Giro 2 either, since I already ordered a HEQ5 steel tripod - originally meant as an upgrade for my GP but even before that tripod arrives, the mount has been sold :mrgreen:
Have seen a Giro drive here at a friends place during one of the star parties last month.. Its good for observing, but I dont think it will keep up with your passion of astrophotography.. For AP you options are limited, btw why did you sell you Vixen mount.. I have heard some very good review of Vixen GP-DX.. and you have the option of converting it to a goto mount later..

Yes, Elton's offer was a very good offer.. pity that I am a nomad and have to travel almost 75% of time so I let it pass.. that time I checked with an astromarter and he quoted me US$1200 + $375 (shipping + insurance)..

hope that helps..

Cheers
Addy
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

addy wrote: Have seen a Giro drive here at a friends place during one of the star parties last month.. Its good for observing, but I dont think it will keep up with your passion of astrophotography.. For AP you options are limited, btw why did you sell you Vixen mount.. I have heard some very good review of Vixen GP-DX.. and you have the option of converting it to a goto mount later..

Yes, Elton's offer was a very good offer.. pity that I am a nomad and have to travel almost 75% of time so I let it pass.. that time I checked with an astromarter and he quoted me US$1200 + $375 (shipping + insurance)..

hope that helps..

Cheers
Addy
Mine was a GP, not the GPD (a.k.a GP-DX). The loading capacity for the GP is about 7kg, but my MN56's bare OTA alone is already ~ 6kg. When I made up my mind to sell it, I had some business-related reasons as well as some of my future plans in mind (larger MN :) ) Anyway, it is in good hands now and I think the new owner is quite pleased with the deal :wink: .

I don't have a "passion for astrophotography" yet :lol:, but it'll be nice if whatever new mount I'm getting is ready for it anytime. GOTO will be a nice bonus, but not absolutely necessary. The GM8 (and the Giro) is also GOTO ready.
Samuel Ng
addy

Post by addy »

harlequin2902 wrote:[
I had some business-related reasons as well as some of my future plans in mind (larger MN :) )
Wow.. will we get the privilege to see a MN86/106 soon :))
I don't have a "passion for astrophotography" yet :lol:, but it'll be nice if whatever new mount I'm getting is ready for it anytime. GOTO will be a nice bonus, but not absolutely necessary. The GM8 (and the Giro) is also GOTO ready.
Watch out, you may not find Giro with Tech2000 Giro Drive to be a great GOTO drive. There is a review by the Odefield So on cloudynights and it doesn't sound very encouraging that he had to tweak the Giro Drive a lot. Further the application is a DOS based utility with a proprietary interface.. Dont know if you could connect with some applications like "Cartes du Ciel"..

GM8 + GOTO : you are looking at a very good but darn too costly setup. By default the GM8 doesn't come with Gemini. You need to purchase Gemini GOTO System with GM8 to get the GOTO facilities. Anacortes sells the GM8 with Gemini for US$2495.00+shipping..

cheers
Addy
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

GOTO is not a must for me, so if it's too expensive like for the GM8 setup, then it's just too bad. As for the Tech2000 Giro Drive, I'm not in a hurry to get it even if I do decide on a Giro setup. But I'm sure they will get it sorted out one day as long as it continues to be widely used.

Anyway, the solid HEQ5 steel tripod I ordered originally as an upgrade for my GP arrived this afternoon...so it's like I now have one foot down the Giro path !
Samuel Ng