More Examples of great pix from the ETX105 (not mine!)

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

More Examples of great pix from the ETX105 (not mine!)

Post by Airconvent »

http://www.thedirks.org/astro/astro-jup.html

I was amazed that the ETX105 can get such great pics...I wonder how he does it...even with a CCD?
For my case, my greatest problem is getting the focus from my lcd display.
when I zoom in too much for high magnification, the image becomes so dim I can hardly see it on the display, let alone focus!

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

I think it might have a lot to do with the steady atmosphere and dark skies over there.. *shrug*

As for the focusing, I havn't done any astrophotography before, but maybe you could focus on a bright star first, flip the mirror and bring it back to your target and hopefully its in focus?

chris
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

chrisyeo wrote:I think it might have a lot to do with the steady atmosphere and dark skies over there.. *shrug*

As for the focusing, I havn't done any astrophotography before, but maybe you could focus on a bright star first, flip the mirror and bring it back to your target and hopefully its in focus?

chris
does not wotk that way....you can focus for the eyepiece but when you view it through the camera view finder, you need to adjust again...this is where an electrical focusser is impt....
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
What I do is to focus on a bright star which will be clear visible in the LCD and take a shot to check focusing. It is time consume, but it worth the try.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
dew

Post by dew »

yeah i usually start by focusing on a nearby star first. the problem (and there are a few) is that getting the star onto your lcd screen in the first place is tiresome and tedious work. then you gotta zoom in close in order to get the right focus and i dunno about other scopes, but whenever i turn the focus knob on my ETX, the image shifts away and then i gitta recenter etc etc.. sigh

eu-wen
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

eu-wen,
whenever i turn the focus knob on my ETX, the image shifts away
How high is your magnification when you do this? Can your scope move so much just by touching the focus knob?

Have you tried putting a clothespeg on the focus knob? I can do fine adjusting the focus that way without losing the image even at 325x on my etx90.

Regards, chris
Last edited by chrisyeo on Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

rich,

what i meant was focus your camera on a bright star first, then flip to eyepiece but don't touch the focus. Find your (out-of-focus) target, flip back, and your camera should be in focus.

Also, there is a filter/cap that you can make with three holes that will help in focusing. I don't know what it's called but it will create three star images if it's out of focus, and only one if its in focus. That might ease some of the focusing trouble too.

Cheers
Chris
dew

Post by dew »

How high is your magnification when you do this? Can your scope move so much just by touching the focus knob?

Have you tried putting a clothespeg on the focus knob? I can do fine adjusting the focus that way without losing the image even at 325x on my etx90.

Regards, chris
sorry, think you misunderstand.. when i turn the focus knob its not the scope itself that moves. actually im really not sure what it is but i think its the mirror not sliding properly so the image moves slightly whenever i focus.

eu-wen