Attempt on Juipter

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Attempt on Juipter

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The below is my shot on Jupiter. The magnification is at around 107x and the camera setting as follows:
METERING : SPOT
MODE : M
SHUTTER : 1/4sec
APERTURE : F5.1
EXP +/- : 0.0
FOCAL LENGTH : f32.0mm(X1.0)
IMG ADJUST : STANDARD
SENSITIVITY : ISO100
WHITEBAL : SUNNY
SHARPNESS : OFF
DATE : 18.01.2004 01:25
QUALITY : 2272x1704 FINE
SATURATION : 0
FOCUS AREA : CENTER

Since the weather is super good last night, I also try out a high magnification(around 214x) attempt on Jupiter, but the images was over expose(2 seconds exposure) and most features become too fade :( May be I should use a faster shutter.. may be 0.5 or 1 seconds.

Any suggestion??
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Sam Lee

Post by Sam Lee »

Woot! Now that's what i call stacking...! :D That's really a big difference after you have stack those images.
Keep up the good work there! 8)

Just a question, why doesn't the image have a more reddish appearence?

Regards,
Sam

We are the Borg, Resistance is Futile.
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
The image is what it look like through my scope. The only difference is the Great Red Spot, which is brownish-orange colour through my scope... But if you look carefully at the raw image, the Great Red Spot is indeed in brownish-orange colour. I think the colour change to brown during the wavelet process.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

hi weixing
wow! what a difference between stacked and raw images.
but your original already looks good.
I was also taking the same photos at the same time but my attempts were mediocre...nothing in the same category as my previous best attempt.
I wonder where I did wrong....?
anyway, if you had not called to tell me about the GRS, I would not have even noticed it was there...I have already learnt the GRS is not very obvious visually ....

as usual, I did not take multiple shots but too many individual images (over 100) at different settings..I can't even remember what settings I used....but generally between .25 seconds to 0.5 seconds exposure using Macro mode on my camera (whether auto, infinite or macro does not seem to make any difference)

I have attached them for comparison...the GRS can just barely make out Jupiter's 9 o'clock...as for Saturn...can't even make out the cassini division...sigh..

rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Airconvent wrote:hi weixing
wow! what a difference between stacked and raw images.
but your original already looks good.
I was also taking the same photos at the same time but my attempts were mediocre...nothing in the same category as my previous best attempt.
I wonder where I did wrong....?
anyway, if you had not called to tell me about the GRS, I would not have even noticed it was there...I have already learnt the GRS is not very obvious visually ....

as usual, I did not take multiple shots but too many individual images (over 100) at different settings..I can't even remember what settings I used....but generally between .25 seconds to 0.5 seconds exposure using Macro mode on my camera (whether auto, infinite or macro does not seem to make any difference)

I have attached them for comparison...the GRS can just barely make out Jupiter's 9 o'clock...as for Saturn...can't even make out the cassini division...sigh..

rich
Rich, actually your raw shots are not too bad. Just that you really need to do this :

1) trial and error to find the best settings. Normally the best settings will give you the sharpest image but dimmest as well. Try to find a setting between the two.

2) Take a lot of shots within 5 minutes. For jupiter, you can't take your time because the surface rotation is very fast. Try to take at least 150 shots.

3) For focusing, if you can, connect your camera to a larger TV or LCD monitor. Also, use a fine focus cable for your ETX.

4) Crop each image properly and as close as possible in photoshop. This take time, but manual cropping will make the alignment and stacking much more accurate. During cropping, you can also filter out those images that are bad. Remember to choose only the best ones here. Try to spend time here....a lot of those "experts" spend a lot of time here doing cropping out of hundreds of shots. Some even mildy process their photos before they export it to registrax. I can spend the whole night just doing this alone. Rename the pictures starting from 01,02,03 and so on. Try not to use the default number from the digicam.

5) Once you got it stack and align, play with the wavelets. If you have done (4) properly, your stacked image should already be very good.

If you were to ask me what makes a good photo, I would say patience. and knowledge in image processing. Not equipment, not fancy cameras. But patience in focusing, patience in getting the right settings, and patience in image processing. Some of those guys I talked to spent more than a day just to process their images. It's 30 minutes at the field, but 8 hours on the desk. If you think that's a waste of time, then digital AP is not for you. But if you want some good photos, that's the kind of time you got to spend.
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi Airconvent,
Actually, you don't need to remember the settings. Just turn on the Recording Photo Information: info. txt under the “Pic Data/Transfer” sub-menu of your CoolPix 4300. The camera will record all the setting for you in the file: info.txt. Then you just copy out from your CF card and use notepad to read.

What VinSnr say is correct, but I'm not very good in PhotoShop and too lazy to crop the images, so I align the image as centre as possible. I always use the Spot metering mode, which will display a "rectangle" on the centre of the LCD, to do the alignment.

Anyway, I'm still experiment on what setting to use and what post processing is require that will give the best result out of my limited equipment.

Happy imaging and have a nice day... :mrgreen:
Yang Weixing
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Hi Airconvent,
Actually, you don't need to remember the settings. Just turn on the Recording Photo Information: info. txt under the “Pic Data/Transfer” sub-menu of your CoolPix 4300. The camera will record all the setting for you in the file: info.txt. Then you just copy out from your CF card and use notepad to read.
:
Actually to be even simpler, just right click on the photo (assuming you downloaded it into Windows already) and click on properties. Think there is either a summary tab or a general tab on the dialog box. Click on one of those tab and all your settings are listed there.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

by the way weixing, that's a very good effort on Jupiter for a 5" scope. Brilliant!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Thanks Vin Snr and Weixing for the tips.
Will make a note for future sessions...
BTW Weixing, what camera are you using?
I think what I really need is an electrical focusser!
It also occurred to me whether the vibration when I am focussing is due to the inadequate dual fork-mount on my ETX or that my tripod's head is only 4-5 cm in diameter with a 150mm x 200mm plate mounted on it. the moments acting on it would acount for something , right?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I'm using the Nikon CoolPix 4500. My scope also have vibration problem when focusing, so just need to be more patient... :)

I haven't "touch" an ETX before, so I'm not quite sure about the source of your ETX vibration. But I think both the dual fork-mount and tripod's head contribute some vibration.

Anyway, I think your ETX got an advantage. You can first point your scope at a bright star, such as Sirius and focus on the star. Then GOTO your target and "fire at will"... :)

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing