Spotting Scope for Astronomy

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Kelvin

Spotting Scope for Astronomy

Post by Kelvin »

Hey, have any of you guys used a spotting scope for astronomy before, does it really do the job ?? Recount old war stories with your first spotting scope with me and let share the good old days with it. :P

What can i really see with my 60mm , 50x scope. ??

And newbies like me... :wink: don't really know the sky too well,,,, i use a ZIRE71 loaded with skychart and start my travelling there, i own a 8x30 bincolars but i use it for finding stuff.

And if you are a NYP student pls do contact me ! Looking foward if you are!
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Spotting Scope for Astronomy

Post by VinSnr »

Kelvin wrote:Hey, have any of you guys used a spotting scope for astronomy before, does it really do the job ?? Recount old war stories with your first spotting scope with me and let share the good old days with it. :P

What can i really see with my 60mm , 50x scope. ??

And newbies like me... :wink: don't really know the sky too well,,,, i use a ZIRE71 loaded with skychart and start my travelling there, i own a 8x30 bincolars but i use it for finding stuff.

And if you are a NYP student pls do contact me ! Looking foward if you are!
Dude, do you know what I started with? I started with a 40x 40mm scope. If I had a 60mm scope back those days, I would be on cloud nine.

Your spotting scope should be a zillion times better than my cheapo, single lens 40x40mm scope. And even with my cheapo scope, I found half of the M objects.

You should have no reason why you can't use your scope for astronomy.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

Are exactly are M objects ?? I understand in singapore skies only M42 of the Orion are visible, i really didn't get any star clusters or milky way.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Kelvin wrote:Are exactly are M objects ?? I understand in singapore skies only M42 of the Orion are visible, i really didn't get any star clusters or milky way.
Only M42???? :roll:

Think you need to ask around first. You can certainly see more than just M42. Just off my mind, you can certainly see things like M4, M6, M7 (nice!), M8, M11, M13 (nice!), M15 (this could be barely..good to train your eyes), M17, M18(barely again), M20 (challenging), M22, M24, M27, M28, M31 (nice!), M35, M36, M41, M45 (seven sisters), M57 (challenging), etc....Plus omega centauri, jewel box, eta carinae, etc

See...I already listed so many just off my head.

Get a good book or browse around. Surely the 60mm scope can do more than just M42.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

WOW :o so much...!! really, wat do they look like ?? I can't wait, i going to find them, anyway i joining my sch NYP astro club, i sure they will give me a headstart in deep sky objects.
nF
Administrator

Post by nF »

<--- ex-NYP student, president of the astro club from 2000-2001. Anyway I seldom contact them, but my friends still do, so I still got news of what's happening at the club. Anyway, welcome aboard Singastro, hope you will enjoy your time here and learn much stuff here.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

<--- ex-NYP student, president of the astro club from 2000-2001. Anyway I seldom contact them, but my friends still do, so I still got news of what's happening at the club. Anyway, welcome aboard Singastro, hope you will enjoy your time here and learn much stuff here.
Mr President,

Nice to see you onboard the singastro, well i haven;t been in the club yet, just popped a sign-up form in front of the door. I do hope i can really learn some useful skills, and maybe they can purchase a scope for me at a lower price ! :lol: heheh

Well, Best Regards Mr President.
Kelvin
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

Heads up for rookies and newbies, just came back from Astronomy.com forums.

The cool guys told me that a min scope should be 5 inchs across and no one really ues anything smaller. urg! So,Hey, that puts many of our scopes to the store room. :shock:
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
My advice is don't listen to them... they can do that because scope in US are a lots cheaper than here and they are generally "bigger size" than us, so they can handle bigger scope.

Small scope have their advantage too. It is more portable and you can basically bring them to anywhere at anytime... :)

If this is your first scope, my advice is don't get anything larger than 5 inch. Unless you got the budget, the muscle and are those "die hard" observer, anything larger than 5 inch may see more spider web on your ceiling than the stars... :P

Anyway, try using your spotting scope more offen and get familiar with the sky first using star charts. Remember, without the knowledge, it will be useless even you have a larger scope.

Have a nice day and happy Chinese New Year!
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

hi Kelvin
Get the largest aperture scope you can afford and which is portable enough for your use! I admire those who learn astronomy using a spotting scope but why deprive urself of more satisfying views if u can afford a larger scope? :)

cheers
cc