Mars Exploration second rover, Opportunity ready for landing

Here is the place for the admins or moderators to do their annoucements. Or, if you have bought a new scope and want the whole world to know, do it here. Basically this is the place for any astro first-hand news.
nF
Administrator

Mars Exploration second rover, Opportunity ready for landing

Post by nF »

Opportunity, will reach Mars at 05:05 Universal Time on Jan. 25 (1300hrs on Jan. 25 Singapore time) at a landing site on the opposite side of the planet from Spirit. Opportunity's landing site is on plains called Meridiani Planum
Grievous

Post by Grievous »

I think there will be a 'live' telecast on National Geographic Channel at 12noon of the landing. Do log onto that channel when the time comes! Hopefully, it will be a soft touchdown!

Charlie
The gentle light of a distant galaxy
must needs pour into mine eye.
Or i shall with bent and turned,
fall me down, distraught..To die.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think No live telecast... just short "live" feed during different stages of the landing... :) You should log on to the "live" webTV in NASA website to get the "live" webcast.

Anyway, from the Spirit experience, it will be a long wait between events... :)

Wish them good luck!!!!
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

weixing wrote:Hi,
I think No live telecast... just short "live" feed during different stages of the landing... :) You should log on to the "live" webTV in NASA website to get the "live" webcast.

Anyway, from the Spirit experience, it will be a long wait between events... :)

Wish them good luck!!!!
I've been tracking their progress as well as the Beagle's loss through space.com and bbc on my PPC's Avantgo channels....very interesting!
I wonder if we can set up an 8" SCT on Mars, how would Earth look like from there? Maybe I will see a half phase earth, and comment I can make out bluish features on the surface and then just barely make out its satellite as one dot next to Earth....earth being twice as big as Mars and much more reflective due to the oceans, probably it would be the brightest object in the martian sky (part from our sun and her 2 moons deimos and phobos)...

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
how would Earth look like from there?
I think one of the spacecraft had turn their camera on earth and taken some images of earth, but I can't remember which one... ???

Have a nice day and happy Chinese New Year!!!
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
nF
Administrator

Post by nF »

chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

So cool!

I was on live at the NASA portal at the exact second of landing listening to all the signals and cheering at nasa.

Congratulations for the safe landing to Nasa!

chris
nF
Administrator

Post by nF »

Indeed, congratulations on the safe landing of their second rover at 25 Jan 2004, 1305 hrs Singapore Time. Can you see that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Al Gore is at the JPL too?? hehe.
fiona_

Post by fiona_ »

yeah was right on time watching NGC @ 12pm sharp~ Hope everything goes well for Opportunity though the 'live' telecase was somewhat a bore ... hee.....

Post by Guest »

- post with religious undertone deleted by acc -

one small step for man
one giant step for mankind
-Neil Armstrong