Dewshield

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Debash

Dewshield

Post by Debash »

Hi all,

Lost my astrozap dewshield recently. Considering how expensive it is to buy one as compared to the purpose it serves, I guess its best to make one. Would anyone have tips on material that's best for flexible dewshield which is durable, retains its shape & where can it be purchased from? Saw DIY's on this in cloudynights, but I'm not sure if/where we can get the materials here (sonotube, aluminium sheet). My main purpose is to cover the corrector plate from stray lights.

Thanks in advance for comments.
Debash
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

I used to use black art & craft paper (about 30cents per A3 sheet). use a few times and throw when it becomes too crumpled Cheap and effective. :)
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

the problem with art paper is storage. you need to keep it in one of those art work cylindrical containeras, else it gets squashed on route.
The solution for Maks is to coil the paper around the OTA and secure with rubber band. When needed, just slide out and not needed, slide it back in. That is what I did for my ETX90 during Mars watch. Unfortunately, to show people how short my OTA is, I had to remove it and putting it back many times becomes a hassle..

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets