Comet 17P/Holmes gone kaboom!

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Saw it about 5-10 mins ago with the 25x100 bino from 35 flrs above gnd slightly <40 deg n close to due north, very nice
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Oh my goodness! I am looking at it now through my window with the 7x50 bino. Its so bright that I can see it through clouds! Incredible! :shock:
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

finally saw it! easy with naked eye...
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits
cataclysm

Post by cataclysm »

Hi all, here is a snap shot of the comet. I set it up in a haste to capture it through the window without a tracking mount, the exposures had to be short.
Pic. info:
80mm WO ZSFD
Canon 30D
Hutech IDAS LP filter
18X2.5s @ ISO3200

Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Kelvin, very nice pic. Thanks for sharing.
rlow

Post by rlow »

David Lian, Liuming and I drove up to Dempsey (new site) last night at about 11pm to look for the comet, and we saw it with 8x32 and 10x42 binoculars, and also through a 6" refractor at 107x. We saw the star-like bright spot too. Indeed the comet is so big and bright that it was visible to our naked eyes even though the full moon was just 20-30 degrees away! :shock:
Richard Low
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

rlow wrote:David Lian, Liuming and I drove up to Dempsey (new site) last night at about 11pm to look for the comet, and we saw it with 8x32 and 10x42 binoculars, and also through a 6" refractor at 107x. We saw the star-like bright spot too. Indeed the comet is so big and bright that it was visible to our naked eyes even though the full moon was just 20-30 degrees away! :shock:
Richard, you called me last night? Last night I was at Ubin Island with my school club, and I left my handphone in the tent, so... Anyway we also saw the comet with a 10inch dob, the brightness didn't change, but coma was a lot bigger compared to Friday morning.

It's good to hear that you all saw the comet! Thanks for calling me for ob, hope next time can join you guys!

Jia Hao
Clear skies please...
Canopus Lim

Post by Canopus Lim »

When I attempted to find it with the bino at 1am it was so cloudy in the North. I think I will try again.
AstroDuck
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Wow nice pic !! Cataclysm pls share how u took it, I want to take own pic too :)

Anyways I found this really nice simulator from NASA to play with. Hahaaa~~
http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=17p&orb=1
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

current update as of October 30th on the comet:
it continues to brighten up, now about magnitude 2.4 but overall size is gradually enlarging. current coma diameter is about 480 arc-seconds across, which is bigger in apparent diameter than jupiter.
Photon Bucket
http://www.celestialportraits.com
Facebook page: celestialportraits