Night Vision Binoculars

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Kelvin

Night Vision Binoculars

Post by Kelvin »

Guy, does anyone own something called "Night Vision Binoculars" before?, i seen them in shop all around, the lens and heavly coated and are RED in color very deep red.

When i took for a view, the colors of building and people are slighty greenish.

Are those good for astronomy since the cheapest i could find for 7x30 for $269.
But a normal Binoculars of 7x50 for just $59 bucks !

Imagine Night Vision WOW ! i guess coating allow more than 90% of the light to get thru. compare to none coatings

Could anyone with vast wisdom care to share ?
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Night Vision Binoculars

Post by VinSnr »

Kelvin wrote:Guy, does anyone own something called "Night Vision Binoculars" before?, i seen them in shop all around, the lens and heavly coated and are RED in color very deep red.

When i took for a view, the colors of building and people are slighty greenish.

Are those good for astronomy since the cheapest i could find for 7x30 for $269.
But a normal Binoculars of 7x50 for just $59 bucks !

Imagine Night Vision WOW ! i guess coating allow more than 90% of the light to get thru. compare to none coatings

Could anyone with vast wisdom care to share ?
those are not night vision bino. Those are just binos coated with ruby coatings. It's red to cut down the purple spectrum due to chromatic abberation. It's doesn't make light transmission better.

Night vision binos are binos that allow you to use in complete darkness. It has a computer circuitry built into the bino.....you won't be able to get one at $300

Don't be fooled by these binos that use ruby coatings. In fact, that ruby coatings cut down light transmission more than it helps.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I don't think those so call "Night Vision binocular" are good in astronomy and I don't think their coating are any special. It may be just business "trick" in getting you to buy one normal binocular at a high price.

By the way, I can say all telescope and binocular are night vision equipment if I want to, since telescope and binocular do let you see slightly better during night than nake eye... because they just collect more light... :P

Anyway, Real Night Vision binocular use Image Intensifier and are very expensive(easily more than S$3000++) and the view are greenish in colour.

If you want to get one for astronomy, I would recommend the Minolta Activa series, which is one of the cheapest binocular suitable for astronomy. I think Airconvent will surely agree with me on this one.... right??? :P

Have a nice day and happy Chinese New Year!!
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

oh ok, tks maybe i will get on of those Army Camo binocular for starters ($59) only WOW ! don't know if you guys seen it before.

I will check out the Minolta Activa series.

One more thing, any of you guys own the Canon Electronic Bincolars (Shake Proof System). is it that good ? Price is almost the same for a new telescope !
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

One more thing, any of you guys own the Canon Electronic Bincolars (Shake Proof System). is it that good ? Price is almost the same for a new telescope !
Are you referring to Canon's 45mm IS series ? The owner of cloudynights.com has a pair. Check out his adventures with them here :

http://www.cloudynights.com/bobserv/canon1.htm

http://www.cloudynights.com/bobserv/Canon2.htm

http://www.cloudynights.com/bobserv/canon3.htm
Samuel Ng