ETX Series,

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Hi Ariefm71,

Welcome to the forum!

Can I ask about your tripod? What brand/model is it, how much does it cost, how heavy is it, how steady is it and where can I get it? I've been looking for a tripod for EQ mounting myself.

Thanks!
Your fellow proud etx90rs owner :)
Chris

p.s. Do add your name into the equipment database...
chrisyeo

Post by chrisyeo »

Kelvin,
I in 90% complete my research in the ETX90RA
lol.. if you've been to weasner's mighty etx site you might find that there's more information then you actually want regarding etxs.. :)

Do give it a try to get it on your own. It may not be really that hard after all!

Also, not meaning to scare or rush you or anything, but it seems to me that Meade is not producing the RAs anymore, and its only the stocks that dealers have that they are selling, which is probably why they're going so cheap. Perhaps I'm wrong, but do your own checking about availability so as not to be disappointed...the sources that I got mine from don't have it anymore.

good luck on getting your firstscope,
Chris
Last edited by chrisyeo on Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I was surfing the Meade website few days ago and I found something that surprise me... :shock:
The Meade was using silicon monoxide as their standard coating to protect the Mirror aluminum coating, which is not as good as silicon dioxide. Even the make in china SkyWatcher use silicon dioxide on all their telescope mirror(according to their website)... I was wondering what Meade was thinking... :?:

By the way, Meade UHTC have the silicon dioxide coating.

Have a nice day and happy Chinese New Year(5 days left)!!!

PS: Did anyone visit the Meade ETX website notice that the optical design diagram they put on the website was actually a diagram for Schmidt-Cassegrain not a Maksutov-Cassegrain... I was wondering why they put a Schmidt-Cassegrain diagram in the ETX website, when the ETX was a Maksutov-Cassegrain telescope??? I think either the website administrator must be dreaming or they don't have a diagram for Maksutov-Cassegrain... :mrgreen:
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

you guys are right, maybe a ETX90RA is still good for me, but can the scope me mounted on a carmera tripod ?
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

How strong is your camera tripod?
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

well, the tripod is not of problem, as long the ETX90 can be screwed to the camera tripod without any handycraft. the tripod should be easy to find one.

In fact for me, i dun really need a tripod, my club has them,.
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

Just to make sure as a lousy tripod might not be able to carry the weight of the Telescope.

A good tripod will be more expensive then a telescope mount.
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

yup, i keep your advice, my problem now is finding the scope, i mailed Medea but them didn't reply, there a ETX90EC with GOTO, that going to cost a bomb.

Amazon still sells, but i never purchase anything from them before. they still have stock of the ETX series.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
All GOTO scope will cost you a bomb, because you are not only buying the scope, you are also buying a computer and the software.

Just remember that a similar scope without the GOTO will only cost you around half of that price tag.

Have a nice day and happy Chinese New Year!!
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

i looking for the scope cause it's time for upgrade. i thinking about getting the ETX90RA (singapore CAN"T FIND !)URG !!!, a new 45 degree spotting scope or a new 7x50 bin ($59).

All my scopes coatings has wear out (scratches and a bit of loose lens)and it been over 15 years all of my equipment.

Since a new spotting will cost as much as a new telescope. without Mount !