Help!!

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
ursaMinor

Help!!

Post by ursaMinor »

Hi everybody,

finally received my celestron eq short 114 scope today....but being an inexperienced amaetur, far from being excited, I almost tore my hair out trying to set up the telescope for about 3 damn hours. I couldnt find the fabled dust cover on the focuser that the handbook manual claimed it exists. And in a moment of carelessness, I accidentally opened the whole damn scope up and now the primary mirror have my fingerprint. The scope also took a few of my accidental scratches and I REALLY feel frustrated trying to set it up. Imagine having to set it up everytime for an observation...........May I know how much does it costs for a professional to have it re-polished and to put everything back in good place? I have also screwed quite abit of things up which I probably haven't realised yet. It is a nightmare.... :x
VinSnr
Administrator

Re: Help!!

Post by VinSnr »

ursaMinor wrote:Hi everybody,

finally received my celestron eq short 114 scope today....but being an inexperienced amaetur, far from being excited, I almost tore my hair out trying to set up the telescope for about 3 damn hours. I couldnt find the fabled dust cover on the focuser that the handbook manual claimed it exists. And in a moment of carelessness, I accidentally opened the whole damn scope up and now the primary mirror have my fingerprint. The scope also took a few of my accidental scratches and I REALLY feel frustrated trying to set it up. Imagine having to set it up everytime for an observation...........May I know how much does it costs for a professional to have it re-polished and to put everything back in good place? I have also screwed quite abit of things up which I probably haven't realised yet. It is a nightmare.... :x
when you say trying to set it up, what were you trying to do with the scope?
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Since it's a Celestron product, I think the only people who can do it (if you really think that it's that bad and really needs professional help) are the guys at Astro Sci ( contact number : 65674163 ). Not too sure how much it'll cost to put everything right for you if you approach them, but I once heard that someone here was charged over a hundred just for the *collimation* of his 114mm Celestron Newtonian over there.

Where/Who did you buy it from anyway ?
Samuel Ng
rlow

Post by rlow »

hi ursaMinor

Perhaps I might be able to help you out a bit. Please check and reply to the PM which I have just sent you.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

Hi ursaMinor
No need to pay dealers to get the repair done. :) I am sure many of us on this forums would be able to help with ur problem. Good news is that you should not get too bothered by the fingerprint and scratches on the optics. Rarely will they have any noticeable impact on the image. Important thing now is to get ur optics back into alignment. I can help u out with that if u want.

cheers
cc
ursaMinor

Post by ursaMinor »

I bought it from overseas because my parents lamented about the huge difference in price between overseas and local. The celestron short eq 114 costs $659 at the astro sci but for that price, I could get the short eq 114 and another celestron accessories box containing filters and eye pieces for the same price at $659. Since it was my first scope, I was fumbling around it, unscrewing every damn nut I could find until the primary mirror started to gave way and collapse and while I was holding it back in place, I accidentally got my fingerprint on it. I was so upset that I smacked my forehead several times. Is all other scopes like that? I tink I would buy a scope that requires minimal setup that time. After all, a beginner would have a hard time trying to figure out how to set up the scope and if he should screw it up, it probably costs him that few hundred bucks just to repair.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

The celestron scope is not difficult to setup. Better read the instructions first before unscrewing every nut u can find! :) Important thing now is to AVOID touching any of the optical surfaces, DO NOT attempt to clean off ur fingerprints and get help to have ur scope fixed back into one piece... Anyway, 659 seems to be a reasonable price to pay for the scope + accessories and shipping.
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

ursaMinor wrote:I bought it from overseas because my parents lamented about the huge difference in price between overseas and local. The celestron short eq 114 costs $659 at the astro sci but for that price, I could get the short eq 114 and another celestron accessories box containing filters and eye pieces for the same price at $659. Since it was my first scope, I was fumbling around it, unscrewing every damn nut I could find until the primary mirror started to gave way and collapse and while I was holding it back in place, I accidentally got my fingerprint on it. I was so upset that I smacked my forehead several times. Is all other scopes like that? I tink I would buy a scope that requires minimal setup that time. After all, a beginner would have a hard time trying to figure out how to set up the scope and if he should screw it up, it probably costs him that few hundred bucks just to repair.
The reflector is always difficult for a beginner. But the good thing is, very part of it can be adjusted, so no fear about pulling it apart.

If you had told me you stripped apart a SCT, I would be very worried for you.

First thing you should do is to leave that fingerprint alone. It doesn't affect images at all. You should see my SCT. I don't even clean the corrector plate even when there is dirt, dew, or spider web on it. The only time I will clean that thing is when I see fungus growing on it.

Put back the mirror cell and screw it back at the rear. Just don't touch anything after that.

Now ask, call or beg someone to your house and collimate it back for you. With laser,..it's a 10 minutes job.

Next time, leave your scope alone if you are not sure what you are doing. Not every scope can be put back perfectly. Count yourself lucky that this is a reflector.
ursaMinor

Post by ursaMinor »

Hmm...thx alot everybody for all ur advice. It was really helpful but it wouldnt be nice to trouble some kind soul to come my house just to help me set things right. Well, I know what collimation is but the problem is the practical problem. I couldn't realli understand how it should be done since I have never touch a telescope before. Do remember to msg me when there is some small gathering for observations. I would be there with my scope. I live in Simei btw. Thx!
ursaMinor

Post by ursaMinor »

I got a rather stupid qs to ask. I have set up my scope but it lacks collimation and other fine tuning now. And why can't I see anything when I looked into the focuser?