celestron reflector first light

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
ursaMinor

Post by ursaMinor »

Thx, will keep that in mind!
rlow

Post by rlow »

Perhaps it is alright to observe at your living room if you keep the window pane and window grille out of the way just as we have done on Sunday afternoon. And you do have a good paranomic view of the Eastern sky up to 45 degrees, so you should be able to see Jupiter (which looks like a very bright star to the naked eye) in the east after 11pm, followed by the third-quarter Moon which rises around midnight.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Even if you open the windows, the image quality may still be affected. This is mainly cause by the air moving in and out through the window, which is due to temperature difference between the inside and the outside air. As a result, it may cause image instability and distortion.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

weixing wrote:Hi,
Even if you open the windows, the image quality may still be affected. This is mainly cause by the air moving in and out through the window, which is due to temperature difference between the inside and the outside air. As a result, it may cause image instability and distortion.

Have a nice day.
Not to worry. All he have to do is to open his window say for half an hour before observing. Should be ok after that. His mirror is not very large, tube not very big and temperature differences not really a lot. Should be quite negligable if there is any drop in image quality.
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

VinSnr wrote:
weixing wrote:Hi,

Have a nice day.
Not to worry. All he have to do is to open his window say for half an hour before observing. Should be ok after that. His mirror is not very large, tube not very big and temperature differences not really a lot. Should be quite negligable if there is any drop in image quality.
Hi Vin,

My personal experience mirrors weixing's opinion in that one should not view through a window. I was using my 5" SCT and did experience significant distortion. Perhaps it was because of my low level (level 2). I remember that you were staying on a higher floor. Being more windy, the temp difference may have been less for you. Anyway, if anyone wants to do their viewing through a window, don't let us stop you. It is only our personal opinion. :D

Kay Heem
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

My personal experience mirrors weixing's opinion in that one should not view through a window. I was using my 5" SCT and did experience significant distortion.
I personally do not experience any problems viewing from my balcony with either of my scopes. I guess condition varies from place to place and YMMV. Cheers! :)
ursaMinor

Post by ursaMinor »

Its quite shaky~~~~~due to the strong winds, but hey, finally caught a first view of jupiter! I could see its orange bands and 4 little twinkling moons besides it. its still quite cloudy now. I'll have to wait for the clouds to get a more satisfying view. Astronomy is fun.
ursaMinor

Post by ursaMinor »

Oh, do some of you actually go to the rooftop to view the skies? I was wondering how do some of you get access to the rooftop? Like bribing the security guards?
rlow

Post by rlow »

It is very windy at ursaMinor's apartment in the afternoon, and the temperature difference in the evening would probably not be too great. Furthermore his apartment is a east-facing unit and it is not severely heated up by the afternoon sun. Hence the image distortion through his scope, if any, may not be significant for casual observation for a beginner at his location. In any case, any observation, even through a window opening, is better than not observing at all. Afterall, Alcock has even managed to discover a comet while in his house and viewing through his window.
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
His house is windy?? Make sure his newtonian don't become a dust bin... If you know what I mean... :P

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen: