Omega Centuri

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
JY

Omega Centuri

Post by JY »

Hi,

I have uploaded an image of Omega Centuri taken on saturday night from my house in Yo Chu Kang.
Equipment :
LX200GPS 12" / field derotator / focal reducer f 6.4 / AO7 / ST8 camera.

The image is a 5 minutes shot as it passed between my neighbour's houses.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Jean-Yves
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I have post a new image of the Omega centauri taken on last friday(21 Jan 2005) on changi dark site in the Album. It was taken using Clement Goh Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D through my Sky-Watcher 6" F5 Newtonian at Prime Focus. Image process using PhotoShop to stack 6 images (Jpeg format) of 5sec to 30sec exposure unguided at ISO 1600.

The link is: http://www.singastro.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=339

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

nice
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

mmm weixing,
first time I see omega centauri in colour anywhere.....is the colour natural or due to some processing phenomenon?

rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I think should be natural... didn't do much processing, just stacking and adjust brightness. Even the original Jpeg is in this colour.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
kohjb

Post by kohjb »

Umm....if JY says he has uploaded an image, how do I figure out where to go look ?

Sorry for what must be a dumb question, but I think I'm missing out on some great pix if I don't ask... :k-?:
Celestron 9.25SGT, Meade ETX125, Orion ED80
JY

Post by JY »

Hi Weixing,

I have dowloaded your image and played a bit with it using Photoshop : you have very good data here.

- The green channel is the best captured channel, the stars are very well defined, round and a nice contrast
- The red channel is the brightest, I would think that it captured most of the light pollution, I would reduce it a bit with photoshop, but it's really a personnal matter
- The blue channel is the weakest and may need some curve adjustment to darken the quite noisy background and brighten the stars a little bit.

Anyway, all that to say that you have a set up that works very well, you have a great image, very good guiding and excellent focus.

Keep them coming !

Cheers

Jean-Yves
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I was also very surprise that the polar alignment was good. I wasn't prepare to do any imaging that night, because of the near full moon... big and bright. So polar alignment was done using only a compass to point the mount at the north and taken a few images on a few objects to test my friend Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D without any guiding. I think I was very lucky to get such an accurate alignment and his Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D was really good.

Anyway, all the 30s exposure images taken at that night got a milky layer... I think is cause by the bright moon light.

Thanks for all the comments and will try again when the moon is not that bright.

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing