Geminids 2008

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
fizzy123

Geminids 2008

Post by fizzy123 »

Was thinking of organising a Geminids meteor shower watch, a small event in the east of SG, either ECP or Changi. The last I observe Geminids was at changi beach, a distance from SFT. It has a gd unblocked view of the entire northern sky but a little bright. there are small sheds and a toilet facility near by. This event will also be meaningful for newbies as the event is suitable for all level star-gazers to appreciate and does not need telescopes. Even if it rains or get cloudy, the newbies can take advantage of this opportunity to interact with more experienced observer.
For those more serious ones, I am planning to log this observation, e.g.numbers, direction of travel....., so you might want to join in the fun. I am thinking of either 14 or 15 Dec, overnight session.

So anyone interested in Geminids2008?

[smilie=admire.gif] [smilie=admire.gif] [smilie=admire.gif]
Meng Lee

Post by Meng Lee »

I think this year's Geminids is a goner as those days are the full moon days and the moon is near Gemini.
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Some extra information regarding meteor showers of 2008

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observin ... 62121.html
Crux317

Post by Crux317 »

Geminids meteor shower is one of the "Four great annual meteor shower" ,but this time,the moonlight is a big problem.
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Well, I believe in a typical tropical city like Singapore there are more to fear than the moon, namely, the ambient light and the clouds........lol

Last time I observed at the Changi beach, the sky was quite brightly lit, but I still managed to catch at least 12~14 of them, so I am confident that even with the moon, the Geminids will still be a wonderful shower
Zephyrus

Post by Zephyrus »

If weather permit, I'll join you. (:
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Well, I believe in a typical tropical city like Singapore there are more to fear than the moon, namely, the ambient light and the clouds........lol
But that full Moon is basically beside (may be less than 20 degree away) the radiant point, so I don't have such high hope... :(

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
nukescientist

Post by nukescientist »

Frankly speaking, I've seen showers here in SG for quite a number of times already. And never have I caught any meteors in a almost full moon condition in Singapore. The clouds and light pollution are other factors, but the moon is the biggest threat in any meteor shower ob session.

Another thing to note is also these reports are from other countries who have little light pollution as compared to us. Thus their observed number per hour is much higher. Do note that although we can avoid the light pollution of the CBD, we are still under the greater city glow of Singapore. (The Straits Times likes to copy these predictions and fools the public) When in actual fact the numbers I usually observe are numbed down. (eg from 30 per hr predicted to 10 per hr)

I don't mean to pour cold water here, but I'm talking based on my experience. Just my 2 cents worth. In the end, theres no harm giving it a try.

A word of advice, rather than look out number per hour, look out for average magnitude of the meteors. Eg, you can have 100 meteors per hour, but if all are mag 6 and above, you can't see anything in Singapore. But a 30 per hour with and average of mag 3, you have a higher chance catching almost all 30 of them.
[smilie=info.gif]
jiahao1986

Post by jiahao1986 »

If sky too bright but clear, go out and look out for bright meteors and fireballs. Geminids offers quite a number of colorful bright meteors.
Clear skies please...
fizzy123

Post by fizzy123 »

Hi all,

I just realised that the full moon is near the Geminids radiant point, my bad. I always thought the moon will be at some lower altitude so it will not be affecting the observations. I have both observed the Geminids and Leonids, thus I know what to expect, especially countries near the equator will tend to have a lesser count anyway.

I was hoping to turn this session into a more informal one as my non-astro fren have been asking about meteor shower obs from me, so I was thinking of creating a small informal gathering to observe the Geminids. Initially I was planning for Leonids, but we still having exams then. Even if we dont see a meteor, the newbies can have a good interaction session we the experienced one.