New Astrophotography

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
shark

New Astrophotography

Post by shark »

Hi Guys,

I own a Olympus C5060. I'm very interested in astrophotography. Can anyone advise on the equipment requirement to get started.

Thanks,
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

Ask Weixing :) ..... He is good in Astrophotography :).
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
I'm also just start learning about astrophotography.... :)

For most astrophotography, you will need a scope, a mount with motor drive, an adapter to connect your camera to your scope, a lots of patient and determination.

Anyway, what equipment do you currently have?

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
shark

Post by shark »

Hi Weixing,

At the moment I only own a digital camera (Olympus C5060). I'm still learning the various equipment needed for astrophotograhy. I understand that it requiure a adapter ring to mount the camera to the telescope. Not sure whether is there any compatible one for my digital camera.

Any good start-up telescope to recommed? And what is the price range for such start-up? Thought of visiting the shop at Science Centre to look see, look see.
weixing
Super Moderator
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Yes. There are an adapter for the Olympus C5060 from ScopeTronix. You can ask samuel about this adapter.

A 4" or 5" scope will be a good start up. Normally, the most expensive part for a astrophotography setup will be the mount, but since the maximum exposure time of your Olympus C5060 is only 15 seconds, you don't require such a good mount. By the way, you can always upgrade the mount in the future if you require it.

If you are not so brand conscious, you should be able to get a 5" scope, a EQ mount with motor drive and the adapter at around S$2000.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

I booked a Knous Motormax 130 5.1" MCT, with Dual Axis Motor Drive EM10 EQ Mount, for US$649 (Including Shipping) from an online retailer :).......
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

shark wrote:Hi Weixing,

At the moment I only own a digital camera (Olympus C5060). I'm still learning the various equipment needed for astrophotograhy. I understand that it requiure a adapter ring to mount the camera to the telescope. Not sure whether is there any compatible one for my digital camera.

Any good start-up telescope to recommed? And what is the price range for such start-up? Thought of visiting the shop at Science Centre to look see, look see.
Astro Singapore? That place is what we called, "Tai Lan Ban Hui" .... hehehe ..... they quoted me $2100 for a CG-5 Mount (w/o GOTO) and $3800 for a CG-5GT mount when I was quote US$749 (US$819) by a oversea retailer, with GOTO. That place is good for you to take a look, but if you really want to get somethings affordable, check with Sam (http://www.harlequinastronomics.com) or Jim ( www.mcgill.com.sg, but jill website seems to be pretty unstable lately).
shark

Post by shark »

Hi Weixing,

Thanks for the advise.. Btw, who is Sam?
weixing
Super Moderator

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Actually, his name is Samuel Ng (harlequin2902), I just too lazy to type... :) He is one of the most active vendor here and his website is: http://www.harlequinastronomics.com

Have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

shark wrote:Hi Weixing,

Thanks for the advise.. Btw, who is Sam?
Other then Samuel, there is Jill from Mcgill, read from my previous posting. Jill is not as active as Sam. I had bought something from Sam before, he is pretty helpful and he often "watch the sky" in Toa Payoh Area ..... btw where do you stay? you might want to join the astromer as your area first. I am pretty new, but weixing and myself is around Tampines.

acc is in the North if I remembered correctly.