New toy arrived today.........

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
VinSnr
Administrator

New toy arrived today.........

Post by VinSnr »

will post up some reviews later. Received a new toy today......

Clue : Orion.

:D :D
blurblock

Post by blurblock »

SkyView Pro 80mm ED EQ Refractor ?
dew

Post by dew »

haha.. if its the 80mm ED then ill let out a secret of my own: got mine just 2 weeks ago too! but there havent been enough clear nights to get it out though.. sigh
if it is the 80mm ED maybe you wanna compare the 2 to check for disreprancies in quality? then we can see what qc in china is like..

eu-wen
harlequin2902

Post by harlequin2902 »

Hm, must be the 80mm ED.

Ah ha, so now we all know why it has been raining like crazy lately !
(if Vin Snr's new toy is really a second, newly arrived 80mm ED)
Double dose of the dreaded "new scope curse" :lol:
Samuel Ng
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

harlequin2902 wrote:

Hm, must be the 80mm ED.

Ah ha, so now we all know why it has been raining like crazy lately !
(if Vin Snr's new toy is really a second, newly arrived 80mm ED)
Double dose of the dreaded "new scope curse" :lol:
Yes..it's the 80mm ED. Again, bought it for evaluation only.....

At this moment, I can say only one thing about this scope. The QC sucks. Big time. Luckily it's not a complicated instrument...if not, one will have a hard time fixing this fellow. I guess Syntha must be rushing these scopes like mad till there is no QC at all.

Two instant problems:

1) The focuser was terrible. I have played with so many scopes, I have never feel one with so many tight spots. Maybe this is the only one..I dunno

2) Collimation is out. And out by hell a lot.

Luckily fixing them is not too difficult if you know what you are doing. Apparently the "tight spots" were caused by a small tiny tensioning screw that was yanked too deep (can't really see this screw..hidden behind a tension knob) . I actually took out the whole focuser and gosh..you can see that one side of the focusing rod was higher than the other one! One of the tensioning screw is too deep..and the other one is not deep at all.

I took off both tensioning screws and screw them back in again with similar force. Now the tights spots were gone and the tension is just right. Putting a camera behind shouldn't be a problem now.

For the collimation, I spent 2 hours tilting the focuser tube. There is no lens adjustment screws, so you just have to try your luck tilting the focuser. Apparently, tiliting is not enough for my case, so I added a permanent shim. Collimation is ok now....but still have to test it out in the field.

Luckily all these problems can be solved. But I expected better QC than this.

Will let you guys know how the star test turns out next time.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

The previous reviews for this scope is great, in particular the price/performance ratio.
I can only assume that due to overwhelming demand, they had to employ aunties into the production line, and cut QC time to ensure stocks are delivered as scheduled....
but yes, do let us know once the 2 of you have completed your reviews...
I'm very much interested to know how they compare with a Takahashi or Televue and to be more fair due to price range, the WO Megrez...
rich
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
VinSnr
Administrator

Post by VinSnr »

Airconvent wrote:The previous reviews for this scope is great, in particular the price/performance ratio.
I can only assume that due to overwhelming demand, they had to employ aunties into the production line, and cut QC time to ensure stocks are delivered as scheduled....
but yes, do let us know once the 2 of you have completed your reviews...
I'm very much interested to know how they compare with a Takahashi or Televue and to be more fair due to price range, the WO Megrez...
rich
I have seen CC's TV85 before...so I can roughly compare it with that.