Virgin Astro-shoot....

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Virgin Astro-shoot....

Post by Sivakis »

Hi all!

First time posting :D

Been trying to locate the moon these few days but its been very cloudy. Last night, happened to notice a lone bright star in the east, everywhere else is just reddish clouds.

Took a look into stellarium and suspected it might be Jupiter. Can anyone confirm if this shot confirms it as such?

Shot taken with:
Canon EOS 500D
Canon EF-S 55-250
ISO: 800
1-sec exposure

Hmmm, if it is indeed Jupiter, then how do I get it without the "star-flare"? Anyway, very surprised and impressed that a basic DSLR setup with no telescope or bino could capture this shot.
wucheeyiun

Post by wucheeyiun »

Try to up iso to 3200 and go for 1/60 second...you might get to see festoons bands on the planet...the tiny white dots could be its moons...and not flares
weixing
Super Moderator
Favourite scope: Vixen R200SS & Celestron 6" F5 Achro Refractor
Location: (Tampines) Earth of Solar System in Orion Arm of Milky Way Galaxy in Local Group Galaxies Cluster

Re: Virgin Astro-shoot....

Post by weixing »

Hi,
Sivakis wrote:Hi all!

First time posting :D
Welcome to SingAstro! :mrgreen:
Sivakis wrote: Been trying to locate the moon these few days but its been very cloudy. Last night, happened to notice a lone bright star in the east, everywhere else is just reddish clouds.

Took a look into stellarium and suspected it might be Jupiter. Can anyone confirm if this shot confirms it as such?
Congratulation to your first Astrophoto... :) Yes, it's Jupiter and it's Moons... From left bottom to right top: Ganymede, Io, Europa and Callisto.
Sivakis wrote: Hmmm, if it is indeed Jupiter, then how do I get it without the "star-flare"? Anyway, very surprised and impressed that a basic DSLR setup with no telescope or bino could capture this shot.
IMHO, the "star-flare" is cause by the lens optical aberration... you can try to reduce the exposure time (trial and error method) and remove any protective filter if any is install. Anyway, it's basically impossible to capture the Jupiter and the Moons in single shot without seriously overexposure Jupiter.

Good luck and have a nice day.
Yang Weixing
:mrgreen: "The universe is composed mainly of hydrogen and ignorance." :mrgreen:
Sivakis

Post by Sivakis »

Thanks for the replies and affirmation that it was indeed Jupiter. :)

I'll probably try again tonight with different settings. Weixing, saw some of your posts on clubsnap and they've been inspiring to say the least :)

At shutter speeds of 2-secs and above I started to notice star-trails - the max I could push was 1.6-secs. Ok, gonna try ISO1600-3200, maybe push it down to 1/20-1/40. Will post my results when I get them.
kirbyong

Post by kirbyong »

omg. all these without any bino or telescopes? nice (: this will be all the more reason for me to get a 500D (:
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

wow...you mean a 250mm lens can do that? Then I must try it sometimes too as I have the 250mm lens too but what is your aperture? F/2.8? My 18-250 probably have to settle for f/6.3 at the long end...
Good attempt though and yes, weixing rightfully identified it as jupiter and the names of the moons too! [smilie=admire.gif]
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Sivakis

Post by Sivakis »

Lol thanks for the comments guys :)

Too cloudy tonight.. can't see crap except red skies....

And yeah, was using the cheap EF-S 55-250/4-5.6IS.

EXIF data:
Camera: EOS 500D
Shutter Speed: 1.0sec
Exposure Program: Manual
F-Stop: f/5.6
ISO Speed: 800
Focal Length: 250

Wonder how it would be like to borrow a 70-200/2.8 hmmm
kirbyong

Post by kirbyong »

i will try capturing jupiter today as well as the meteor shower... IF the skies are clearer today. hahahaha (: cheers
kirbyong

Post by kirbyong »

hey guys. i dont know much about camera stuff, but i have a lens that is 75-300mm, a canon zoom lens 1:4-5.6.
and the top says digital uv 58 mm. any idea what this means? haha and most importantly i want to know, will this be able to capture jupiter and its moons? and i'm using a 450 D, not a 500 D ):
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

hi Kirby,

whether it is a 450D or 500D will not make much difference.

Your lens is the 75-300mm, it would be used at 300mm. However you would want to stop it down a bit from f/5.6 say to f/11 in order to use on the center portion of the lens which is sharpest.

A 300mm would give about 6X magnification over a normal lens, or about 10X the magnification of the human eye.

This will be enough to image Jupiter as a small disk, and its moons as points. However it's not enough to resolve the cloud bands, etc.