Atlas EQ-G GoTo, Celestron CGE, Sphinx SXW, or GP2?

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
orly_andico

Atlas EQ-G GoTo, Celestron CGE, Sphinx SXW, or GP2?

Post by orly_andico »

All of these mounts cost around USD 1400 - 1600.

I need something that will carry a C9.25 stably.

I know the Vixens are the "default" in this price range, but the CGEM particularly has gotten a very good reputation, has a higher payload, and costs less.

Or will a C9.25 be carried adequately by the one-class-lower mounts? (e.g. CG-5, LXD-75) these would cost 1/2 to 1/3 as much and weigh much less.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

@Stuart

Thanks for the detailed reply. I posted the same question on CN and they said ALL of the mounts I'm considering are marginal for imaging with a C9.25 :D

I am a hardware hacking sort of guy but for $1400 (CGEM) I think my wife would go ballistic if I went at it with a Dremel...

I'm beginning to think I should hold out for an old GP-D or GP-DX, I've read a lot of electronics gremlins horror stories with the Chinese mounts. And I should forget about imaging with the C9.25, it's too heavy and too long for the mounts that I can realistically afford.. where's that bargain-basement NJP when you need one... :)