Almost Quarter

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
rcj
Vendor

Almost Quarter

Post by rcj »

Here's the latest attempt on the almost quarter moon:
http://celestialportraits.star-matrix.c ... 31003.html
Clear Skies!

IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

wow.. where on earth are you in? that's a very fantastic taken picture.. :) :)
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
addy

Post by addy »

Nice picture Remus...

Could you also share the equipment details and settings with us so that we can benefit from your experience... We can make it a standard practice as it gives the forum members an idea of the what to look for while going for astrophotography..

cheers
Addy
rcj
Vendor

Post by rcj »

Hi Addy, Leslie,
It was actually taken last week locally using a friend's Borg76ED 3-inch refractor. I have been posting moon mosaics like this for sometime in the yahoogroups list, and all these while, have been using mostly the 76ED for lunar mosaic work except on a few occasions where i used my 4-inch refractor. For this particular image, it was done using a Sony digital camera with the refractor simply mounted on a manfrotto 190+410 tripod setup. Conditions weren't too good, as there was haze and high clouds, and I had to shoot quickly before it got any worse. Took about 20 frames to complete the mosaic. Processing was done on Photoshop to combine all the individual frames together. In all,
what you need would be the following:
1)Digital camera
2)Almost any scope will do. My purpose of using a 3-inch instead of bigger apertures was to display the possiblility that one can do with a small telescope.
3)Digital camera adapter (I use Borg SD-1 adapter)
4)Eyepiece projection eyepiece (Takahashi PJ20)
5)Tripod with slo-mo head
6)Patience!

My tip: It is best if you take the moon when the sky is completely clear as it is a difficult and time consuming task to combine all the frames and adjust and compensate for intensity differences at the same time.

Good luck!
Ray
IceAngel
Favourite scope: Sky 90

Post by IceAngel »

Wow.. you are definitely a professional in taking this picture.. itz so clear.. :D
maybe because i am still new to astronomy, so i admire such well taken pictures :D
*~Stars AND Clear Sky always~*
Leslie
*Owner of Antares 93mm Achromat Refractor* :)
-10.11.03-
*Owner of Takahashi SKY 90 Fluorite Doublet Apochromat Refractor* :D
-25.03.06-
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Here's a photo taken through my scope.
Celestron C102 AZ (4" Achromat on Alt-Az mount)
Creative Webcam Pro EX
Any tips to improve the image?