Another Major Astronomy Event in SG?

Having cloudynights? Take a sip of coffee and let's chat about other things around us. From food to games, this is for all the off-topic chat.
kensou

Post by kensou »

I like your idea.. most prob it will only be available on a saturday.. if we do that travelling around.. we must also fork money to help pay abit for the car owner for the petrol =.= and also we can hand out flyers saying we will be observing the night at...(venus) at....(time) - (time).. and yea.. definitely posting up on fb/stomp places like that
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

Perhaps we should look for volunteers to form a small committee. Nothing big but a small group to oversee this. This group can have the necessary contacts of specific locations for our events, important numbers, F&B, etc etc. This will be basically the nucleus of SingAstro Events. From this small group, upcoming event suggestions can be put up here on the forums for volunteers to spearhead, help promote, spread the word, organize the Event itself.

In a nutshell a micro management group of those here who have done this several times and have relevant experience in this area. Always good to have a little micro-management, where ground rules are upkept. This group could rotate with others who share the same views and passion.

Of course to run such an event requires passion and commitment for something large scale. Even if small scale, tasking F&B, flyers, notices etc , is always helpful.

Anyway, my thoughts and suggestions only. In the hopes to get the ball rolling towards better ideas from others. Alot can be done with effort. Little can be achieved with no effort. A little effort is still effort!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Like Zong's idea, however instead of 1 group running the whole country, we may have 4 groups to cover the North, East, West, South/Central and then meet at Padang for the night ob. In this way, each group will have more time at each location and lesser places/distance to cover so that it is not so hectic. Locations can be next to the MRT stations in HDB town. Just my 2 cents
kensou

Post by kensou »

Like that might be too spread out and also not everyone have solar lens unless its just showcase and publicising of such event.. haha
Clifford60

Post by Clifford60 »

Just need 1~3 in each area, also solar filter is good enough, not necessary to be thing like solar telescope or lens
kensou

Post by kensou »

sry i meant solar filter clifford xD
marilyndc

Post by marilyndc »

Cool! this sounds like fun:) ive always had the impression that the west side of s'pore is darker than the east. maybe we can try there for a change?
marilyndc

Post by marilyndc »

oh okay i just saw page2. anyway i realized that if we were to have an event where passer-bys can stop by to look, the area would generally be bright and crowded(or smth? haha) might be an issue for star-gazing? then again, we could just advertise it at various portals and choose a nice location for the public to drop by if they like. does that make sense?? [smilie=cool.gif] [smilie=confused.gif]