Sale/Part Trade My 10" Truss Dob for Your 8" SCT

Have a scope to sell? Or wanna find a good deal? This is your place to buy, sell or trade astro stuff!
kayheem

Sale/Part Trade My 10" Truss Dob for Your 8" SCT

Post by kayheem »

Hi all,

I have made a 10" truss dob using optics from the Discovery 10" F5.6. I am looking to sell it or part-trade with a good sample of a 8" SCT (Celestron or Meade) OTA. I do not want a fork mount.

The optics of the dob is quite good. The mount needs some fine-tuning in terms of balance, stability and azimuth movement. This is designed so that the upper cage is nested into the mirror box for storage. I have fashioned a curved spider to elimate the spikes characteristic of reflectors with straight vanes. People who have looked thru my scope in Mersing were pleased with the views.

The only 'problem' I have is that I can only afford the time to go to dark sites like Mersing once a year or so. The scope will only be used then, seeing it is not exactly 'grab-and-go' for quick peeks. It would be a shame to use this only once or twice a year. When packed, this scope is the most compact for its aperture.

I hope to find a dob-lover to be the new owner of this scope. Pictures of this scope can be seen on the page of photos uploaded by Gavin. Me and my dob can be seen in the lower right hand corner.

http://www.singastro.org/album_personal.php?user_id=29

Interested parties please email or pm me for details.

Rgds,

Kay Heem
ariefm71

Post by ariefm71 »

Kay Heem,

What's the wave optics of the mirror and dimension/weight when it's packed.

thanks,
kayheem

Post by kayheem »

ariefm71 wrote:Kay Heem,

What's the wave optics of the mirror and dimension/weight when it's packed.

thanks,
Weight:
Mirror box with upper cage nested inside: 12.5kg (27.5lb)
Rocker box with base; 10kg (22lb)
Truss tubes, nuts, bolts: est <1kg

Mirror box abt :34.5cm X 34.5cm X 33.5cm
The rocker box would be slightly larger. Please refer to my post with the link to a picture of me standing next to it for comparison.

The primary and secondary mirrors are from Discovery 10" F/5.6 dob (standard mirror coatings). I have no idea what is the surface accuracy, but reviews have been good.

Kay Heem
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

I have observed through the original dob (before Kay Heem's rebuilt) numerous times and can say that the views are excellent. Certainly much better than any 8" or 10" SCTs out there in terms of brightness, contrast and sharpness.