what Planet is that?

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
refshah

what Planet is that?

Post by refshah »

hello,
i m helping my sister answer her question. what planet is that seen below the moon likely to be, assuming if taken this morning?

(orig file too big(??? but it's only 71kB), thus edited. if now unclear, pls advise then i will re-size on another computer)

TIA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: what Planet is that?

Post by Airconvent »

Hi refshah,
Based on the description, it should be Venus. It's a morning object at the moment. The obvious sign is its very bright.
If you want to sure, use the free app "google sky". It will be able to identify objects in the sky by pointing the back of your phone at it. :)'

If you look up after 10pm, that bright object you see due east is Jupiter and just below it is Saturn.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
TriiodideFrog

Re: what Planet is that?

Post by TriiodideFrog »

Hi!

Other than google sky, I recommend Star Walk 2. It is free for android users but you have to pay $4+ for IOS. If you want a free app for IOS systems, sky view lite is not bad. ( There are still in-app purchases though )