Iridescent clouds - seen today from Singapore

Got a question on astronomy that you'd wanted to ask? Ask your questions here and see if the old timers can give you some good answers.
starfinder

Iridescent clouds - seen today from Singapore

Post by starfinder »

Thanks to a tip-off from Thomas, I saw and took photos of iridescent clouds (also known as rainbow clouds) in the late afternoon today, at between 5:35pm and 6:00pm (sunset was at 7:19pm).

I only had a mobile phone to image the rare phenomenon through a window, in the Robinson Road area. The Sun was right behind the clouds, and so the bright/dark contrast was very high and the colours difficult to capture.

To the eye, the colours were even more pronounced than in the images.

It was my first time seeing this; what a treat! Thomas had, minutes before that, sent some photos of the same phenomenon from about 10km away.

Below are some of the photos which I took:

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: Iridescent clouds - seen today from Singapore

Post by Airconvent »

Gavin, I saw the same clouds too !!!
Was driving home and noticed it but had no camera to take it. (Better not as TP now on the lookout for people holding devices while driving!). The colours look even more pronounced through my polarized sunglasses. What a pity I was not with a good camera but thanks to you, I have an "after-image" now...My kid said he also saw those clouds while at school. he did not have a camera either...haha
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets