Improvements/Ideas for the SINGASTRO forum

Have some suggestions to improve the site? Let's discuss it here....Might do some tests here as well
timatworksg

Post by timatworksg »

I second the improvements,...any kind that can benefit and in the end create a larger community! Lots of people are either ignorant or just don't want to know more thinking it's a complicated hobby compared to walking around aimlessly in shopping centers! Though Astronomy can be intimidating for some and costly, having good people around (like us) to lead the way makes any hobby a fun one.

I like Stuarts idea on LP in SG. I was thinking how we can even compile sketches of Nebula's/Clusters and any DSO that are visible in our polluted skies. The idea of this is to compile a database of sketches that represent what can really be seen in SG so that beginners/seasoned can use it as a point of reference when they are star gazing, helping them to navigate or know that what they are looking at is what they wanted! To many Hubble pics cause more confusion to lots! So actual images (sketches) of DSO's where the formation of visible stars from say 3 different scopes (80mm/5"/8") can serve as a reference to verify that what one is seeing is correct! This could also help during average bad seeing as it will assist in picking out the brighter stars as reference points!
Stuart's idea of Doubles is another great one! It's a Great Observation to do especially when there's the moon or LP,..even cloudy nights. Instead of tearing down a set up, there IS lots more one can do with the night sky!

However, just my personal 2c, the biggest hurdle would be commitment and passion to the cause, as this is, and expect it to be, a long term serious volunteer commitment for a cause that reaps no gains, but the sole purpose of knowledge and the feeling of happiness and content when you do something good! (sorry for the mouthfull)
In a nutshell, to be able to upkeep any website/forum with competitions, databse, etc needs alot of after office hour work and sacrifice of family/personal time. Many have tried and lost gas! Few have done well and some become stagnant!

I'm all for the community building so if you need help lemme know. I'm sure we can set up a small but dedicated team, who won't be intimidated by remarks and demands made from others. As long as the focus and aim is kept, we can start a plan for long term success. All this bearing in mind that we each have lives of our own and need time off,...but it is possible. Perhaps we can form a team and discuss further,...or a locked section for team members to submit ideas and discuss here on the forum.

Just my 2c....towards a better tomorrow!!
My wife never complained about how much time, effort & money I spent on my Astronomy hobby!................suddenly I met her!!!
kensou

Post by kensou »

To Remus and SingAstro all members, may I propose that we should form a committee.

What we need to address most and being more dynamic and interactive. A committee consisting of a main committee that are willing to commit sometime together once in awhile online to discuss issue and their individuals sub-committee to work on improving SingAstro.

We can have an event sub-committee to plan weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly or once in a lifetime event. I will give one example how can this work to improve the community. First we can organise a fortnightly during full moon/new moon as a major event at the darkest part of Singapore. Of course from here we can invite a small group of people to join us to view and let them learn of Astronomy and SingAstro. (We can earn some tiny bit of revenue to build up SingAstro for the better, I won't say how as I don't think anyone here like the idea of earning through interests sharing though still a suggestion)

We can also have a sub-committee for Publication. What can this committee do? Firstly of course the publicity of events and what the world are going on about on astro, what are the latest or upcoming things to look out for. This committee is also vital for posting information on SingAstro forum, or be good with computers to post things up and arrange things nicely.

As publication will be big committee, can be divided into 2 Publication-Publicity and Publication-Information.

Well if you guys are enthusiastic about it we can start working on it. What do you say?

Cheers
Kensou