Sky and Telescope Subscription

This is where you can read up the answers to some FAQs on astronomy and star-gazing in Singapore. Members' contributions are welcomed.
Razsky

Sky and Telescope Subscription

Post by Razsky »

Hi ALL,

Was wondering if any of you guys are ordering this magazine from the official site itself? Seems like their price is much cheaper than local distributors. Running a 47% discount now. https://secure.palmcoastd.com/pcd/eSv?i ... &i4Ky=IG01

Any bros with experince on this can care to share? Will deliveries be a hassle?

Thanks in advance.

[smilie=cheer.gif]
650mm, 130mm Vixen R130Sf f/5 Newtonian on Porta
Enterprise

Re: Sky and Telescope Subscription

Post by Enterprise »

I used to subscribe but the delivery was quite half baked. 50% of the time it would arrive on time, 25% of the time it would arrive half a month late and 25% of the time it would not come at all and I have to email SnT to send a replacement (free) which would take another 1 month to arrive. This got so bad and the person receiving the emails does not want to do anything about it other than send replacements (instead of checking up with the distributor or postal services) so I terminated my subscription about half a year ago.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Post by kochu »

I am subscribing to both Astronomy and S & T for nearly 10 years now. I am quite happy with their delivery services. May be once in two or three years one issue may get lost .They always replied to my mail and always replaced the issue. Now since both are having Digital editions, I am subscibing to both, and the publication of digital edition is almost always on time.
Kochu/13-2-13
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

i get my Astro through Zinio.

too bad S&T doesn't do Zinio.
kochu
Favourite scope: Sharpstar-107PH Triplet.

Post by kochu »

S&T does it through Nex.
Kochu/13-2-13
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

I used to subscribe to S&T too. They do come late occasionally but during my subscription period of 2-3 years, I did not lose any issue. Instead I got extra copies because when it failed to arrive after 3 weeks, I feedback and they sent me a copy but I received 2 copies instead. (one replacement and one late issue...haha). Gave the extra issue away.
Now i only subscribe to Astronomy, not because I don't like S&T but just lazy to make the effort...haha. Whenever I needed to buy it, I get it from Kinokuniya. But of course, the discount from the subcription copy is much better.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
starfinder

Post by starfinder »

I used to subscribe to the printed edition of Sky & Telescope but switched to a digital-only subscription recently.

The reason was that out of the 12 monthly issues last year, I did not receive 2-3 of them at all. At any one time, I don't know whether an issue will arrive on-time, be late, or not at all, so it's quite frustrating. The first time I missed an issue, I used their online form to report it, but didn't receive a reply, let alone a replacement.

So I think something is wrong with their delivery process and provider. It's a pity as I prefer having both the printed edition for easy browsing and the included free digital for faster delivery. Hope S&T is reading this!