Collimating the Celestron 127EQ Newtonian

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Re: Collimating the Celestron 127EQ Newtonian

Post by antares2063 »

Haejae, if possible please try posting some pics of the stain for us to see..will be hard to advise without jumping to wrong conclusions.

Also today's (2/11) weather looks good, skies seem very blue for now. You can try doing a star test on a bright star to check collimation of your scope.

Regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Great Red Spot
Favourite scope: Newtonian

Post by Great Red Spot »

Haejae, can you tell us more about the issues?

1. What do you mean by cannot focus? I thought previously you did look at a star? Did you try pointing the telescope to a far away building? Is this related to your suspicion that the telescope is out of collimation?

2. What kind of stain? Fingerprints, dusts, or ketchup?
haejae
Favourite scope: astromaster 130eq:p

Post by haejae »

Great Red Spot wrote:Haejae, can you tell us more about the issues?

1. What do you mean by cannot focus? I thought previously you did look at a star? Did you try pointing the telescope to a far away building? Is this related to your suspicion that the telescope is out of collimation?

2. What kind of stain? Fingerprints, dusts, or ketchup?

For 1) When i tried focusing on a star, i suposse it is supposed to look as if it is a point in the sky. However, i seem to look like a "star cluster"per se, blurry on the edges. I am sure what i was looking at was a star (altair). I tried pointing the telescope to a far away building and the image wasnt very crisp, although i could still make out what i was seeing.

for 2) The stains on the edge look like a dust stains to an extent.
haejae

Post by haejae »

antares2063 wrote:Haejae, if possible please try posting some pics of the stain for us to see..will be hard to advise without jumping to wrong conclusions.

Also today's (2/11) weather looks good, skies seem very blue for now. You can try doing a star test on a bright star to check collimation of your scope.

Regards
Junwei

I will try to take a picture by these 2 days to let you guys have a clearer picture.
Great Red Spot

Post by Great Red Spot »

Let me guess. You looked at a star which is very low in altitude, i.e. close to the horizon. And you used high power - barlowed your highest power eyepiece.

See this link: http://www.damianpeach.com/pickering.htm

Tell us which one the star you saw looks like?

If it is out of focus, it should look like this: http://www.astrogene1000.com/DIY/artifi ... 25ft_c.jpg

To test collimation, defocus the star: https://www.astronomics.com/images/Prod ... 340_2_.jpg

The bit of dust could be from the haze. Our environment is very dusty. We will wait for your picture for assessment.

Btw, the sky tonight is superb. Don't miss the opportunity to observe!
haejae

Post by haejae »

i used a 50x magnification without barlow. It looks like a blurry blob of light through the eyepiece.
haejae

Post by haejae »

Yea and btw any good objects for me to look through my scope/10x50 binos today? Prefably before 11pm and DSOs
Great Red Spot

Post by Great Red Spot »

haejae wrote:Yea and btw any good objects for me to look through my scope/10x50 binos today? Prefably before 11pm and DSOs
http://www.damianpeach.com/pickering.htm
So which one in this link did your star looked like?
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

haejae wrote:i used a 50x magnification without barlow. It looks like a blurry blob of light through the eyepiece.

Try turning your focuser slowly. The links alvin sent are good. Also never use a star which is low in the sky to test your collimation..best is to aim for one 50deg or higher ..or zenith if sky permits.

There are some Dsos near Lyra. M57 ring nebula. It will look like a faint ghostly puff of smoke. Bigger than a starpoint of light . Alberio (beta cygnus) is a nice binary with blue and yellow components.
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
haejae

Post by haejae »

Could not go out of the house today father did not allow:( however saw many constellations through bins and took a few photos through digital camera

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk