How much I can see with a 76mm (FL 700mm) reflector?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
filmgates

How much I can see with a 76mm (FL 700mm) reflector?

Post by filmgates »

I'm totally new to start watching.
Like to know how much I can see with a 700mm*76mm reflector. Noticing this is a f9.6, max magnification around 156x.
If I'm correct this reflector can see around 30-40% of a moon. What about other stars? Which one we can see? How big/small will it be? Able to see colours/details?

Hope this is not too stupid a question to ask.
Thanks.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: How much I can see with a 76mm (FL 700mm) reflector?

Post by Airconvent »

You should be able to see the moon with this scope. But I don't think you will get good views at 156x. Generally, you don't need that high for Saturn and Jupiter to make out features.
76mm under pristine skies can do wonders (but not perform miracles because ultimately, aperture size always wins). But in Singapore's general sky condition, you will be limited to very bright DSO such as Orion Nebula and Omega Centauri. For better performance, at least 5" would be recommended. That's just me of course.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: How much I can see with a 76mm (FL 700mm) reflector?

Post by Hardwarezone »

76mm F10 usually mounted on a yoke design tripod mounting , that's not good to use.

Entry level stuff top out at around 1x mag per mm , the 2x number quoted on website are for better polished optics. Celestron website goes even further quote around 2.3 to 2.5x per mm , misleading.