Getting started in astrophotography with DSLR vs Telescope?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Photo Pilot Guy
Favourite scope: Skywatcher 80

Getting started in astrophotography with DSLR vs Telescope?

Post by Photo Pilot Guy »

Hey everyone. Perhaps you can help a newcomer out. I own a Nikon D810 and have a 24-70mm lens. I also own a Skywatcher 80mm. Now I don't have a base for the Skywatcher. Actually when I bought that, I didn't know about bases. I thought I could use my tripod that I already own. Which I found out pretty quick, that wasn't going to work.

I just wanted to get involved in astrophotography. Did you learn the basics of astrophotography via DSLR or did you jump in with a full on telescope? As I see it, if I go the telescope path, I need to come up with $600-$700 for a decent base. Or I was reading this article: https://www.photographytalk.com/beginne ... -beginners that speaks about some Vixen thing that you can use with your camera and it allows you to get sharp detailed shots of the stars.

Can you get good shots with our camera or is this a rookie move?

You know while I'm talking here. Why are the telescope tripods so darn more expensive than the DSLR ones? That 80mm Skywatcher isn't all that bigger than some larger telezoom lenses on the market.

Let me know. Thanks!
Photo Pilot Guy
Favourite scope: Skywatcher 80

Re: Getting started in astrophotography with DSLR vs Telesco

Post by Photo Pilot Guy »

BTW if you happen to know of a good budget base for this 80mm, that is under $500, please let me know. Thank you again!!
chancy_sg
Favourite scope: Galileoscope

Post by chancy_sg »

You can try the Ioptron CEM25 or Skywathcer EQ5 class mounts. Used maybe cheaper. Mounts are the MOST critical component for astrophotography.
Twinkle twinkle little stars,
How I wonder what you are.
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

Late late reply but I guess I was in a similar boat years ago.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "decent shots", cos it's subjective.

Check out my old thread here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9734

which was just using my dslr and shooting from my hdb kitchen window.

I've stopped for a few years and still at amateur-level, gears are all gathering dust in the storeroom lol, though hands getting itchy again.
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Post by antares2063 »

the original poster only logged in for 2 consecutive days after asking the question, dont think he will be reading any replies here anymore . haha...

regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

antares2063 wrote:the original poster only logged in for 2 consecutive days after asking the question, dont think he will be reading any replies here anymore . haha...

regards
Junwei
Lol maybe he busy shooting.

Maybe.
louiselipsey
Favourite scope: Nikon Monarch 3 BDC 4-16x42mm

Post by louiselipsey »

hello! I also have a question about telescope. I want Meade Infinity 102mm AZ, but my mom says that it's better to buy more expensive, because it is more qualitative. However, I'm not sure if I need a telescope for $ 1,000. What do you think about this?
If you are looking for someone who can write a research paper for me cheap and quickly, follow this link.