5" vs 6" SCT viewing/ astrophotography in Singapore

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
JoelTan

5" vs 6" SCT viewing/ astrophotography in Singapore

Post by JoelTan »

I'm looking at a 5" vs 6" SCT for viewing and astrophotography mainly in Singapore.

Can say the condition is almost 95% of the time usage in Singapore!
What are the differences between these 2 sizes? Of course cost wise the 5" is way much cheaper!

But there again, I am interested in DSO as well, will the 5" suffice for viewing and astrophotography? Obviously 6" I read gives a lot more light gathering but in this heavily light polluted country, will this make any difference.. ? Such that I be better of spending the money difference on other accessories?
antares2063
Favourite scope: Newtonians

Re: 5" vs 6" SCT viewing/ astrophotography in Singapore

Post by antares2063 »

Hi,

Im not an imager , but both SCTs are f10: focal length to aperture ratio, it might not be the best choice to be starting off with astro-imaging as you need longer exposure times.

Also the long focal length inherent of SCT means your Mount alignment must be very good to avoid trailing when doing even 30secs of exposure.

Hope this helps.

regards
Junwei
I miss the place where stars shine bright, to gaze upwards in awe of the sight
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

If you were comparing the nexstar SE series , then the 4-5 vs 6-8 have different mount although they look similar.
The jump from 5 to 6 is not just the telescope bigger but also the mount.
chancy_sg
Favourite scope: Galileoscope

Post by chancy_sg »

Long focal lengths are like looking through a straw. It is very hard to locate and see anything for starters especially locally. Perhaps a wider field scope of the 4in refractor class would be more suitable, a good compromise for visual and AP.
Twinkle twinkle little stars,
How I wonder what you are.