Targets for C90 mak

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Cheesefries0707
Favourite scope: C90 Mak Celestron

Targets for C90 mak

Post by Cheesefries0707 »

Hi all!

I'm new and I just want to say this forum is awesome! Anyway I just bought a c90 scope with a celestron zoom 8-24mm and have since spent hours looking at the moon's crater, jupiter as well as saturn! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

I was wondering what other targets are easy for the c90 considering the high level of light pollution in Singapore? I've read that DSO can't really be seen with the c90, especially so in Singapore, is it true?

Many thanks!
haejae
Favourite scope: astromaster 130eq:p

Re: Targets for C90 mak

Post by haejae »

Have a C90 too, try M42 when orion is visible. Surprisingly sharp and contrasty on a spotting scope:>
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Re: Targets for C90 mak

Post by Hardwarezone »

Can try making a DIY lens shade to cover the front of the scope , and maybe DIY a flock sleeve for the baffle tube that goes inside the mirror.
Search around on cloudynights forum , there were some threads from year 2013-14 with photo comparison.
Modifying the baffle tube to be less reflective can help improve contrast on daytime view and bright lunar.
I did it back then with IIRC a rolled up rectangle 5cm x 12cm black nylon flock fabric. Made a stopper collar so it doesn't slide into the scope.
For the front shade , a $3 big roll of black foam sheet (no glitter) works ok but not easy to secure it over the "hump" on the scope tube.