Leaving mounts and scopes outside?

For people new to astronomy who want to ask those questions that they were afraid to ask. Receive helpful answers here.
Mulrah
Favourite scope: WO Redcat 71mm

Leaving mounts and scopes outside?

Post by Mulrah »

Hey guys, so having gotten used to my Phd2 drift alignment and starting imaging in SG I've been wondering if I can buy a weatherproof cover for my Eq6r mount and tripod to leave it out on my balcony for a few nights at a time when we get some breaks from the cloud cover. Anyone got any experience doing this and how mounts fare in the weather (I. E. Humidity)? I have a dry cabinet for my scope but I probably wouldn't risk leaving it out, just the mount.

Was thinking of using something like the 365 covers from telegizmos - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telegi ... rs/page/2/

Thoughts? It'd be max a few nights left out (not permanently) in the hope I can get some precious imaging time back from carting it in and outside and starting a full blown PA all over again from scratch...
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Re: Leaving mounts and scopes outside?

Post by joachim.ong »

Not an uncommon thing to do on trips to malaysia although that's only for a day or two. I think the main concern would be the electronics if it sits outside for too long.
Hardwarezone
Favourite scope: maksutov

Post by Hardwarezone »

i remember reading in cloudynights forum 8years ago they found the inside of the cover to be wet even when no hole for rain to go in , it's the formation of dew water.
It may not happen if you're backed against a wall which cover a substantial part of the skydome compared to 360 degree exposure and cooldown on clear night.
Mulrah
Favourite scope: WO Redcat 71mm

Post by Mulrah »

Thanks guys, so no major red flags then. Just watch out for dew and max a night or two. Now the next challenge is to actually have back to back nights without clouds - no chance :mryellow:

[smilie=depressed.gif]