AZ Mount Options - Nexstar Evolution vs Ioptron Az Mount pro

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

AZ Mount Options - Nexstar Evolution vs Ioptron Az Mount pro

Post by akdwivedi »

Hi,

I have a nexstar 6SE.. and recently I thought of trying a C8, but it appears that though nexstar 6/8 share the same mount, the C8 pushes the mount to its limits.

Any recommendations/options to upgrade..I have never used a GEM.. I would have something which simplifies the entire process of alignment, and has a fairly accurate Goto. Primarily for visual use only.

cheers
Andy
Last edited by akdwivedi on Fri May 14, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akdwivedi

Re: AZ Mount Options

Post by akdwivedi »

narrowed down to Ioptron Az Mount Pro and with some hints from one of the forumers Nexstar Evolution.

Ioptron - The mount seems to be getting very good reviews in terms of its built in GPS and wifi, quick and accurate self alignment and with the right tripod ability to handle two OTAs on both sides. Negatives - some people reported QA issues, but otherwise reviews are stellar.

Netstar Evolution - Good reviews, familiar style similar to nexstar SE. Good and quick alignment with Starsense (extra cost), accurate goto. With an appropriate wedge can also be used in equatorial way (I doubt it I would ever use it that way). Negatives - wifi issues, noisy motors during slewing. Can only handle a single OTA and probably best for SCTs and a refractor tube may hit the base if the scope slows to zenith.

I had a nexstar SE which I sold as I wasnt using it enough. The evolution will be familiar operations. I will not be doing any AP stuff so equatorial mounts are out of question, though CEM26 is almost the same price as az mount pro.

Question - anyone locally is using ioptron az mount pro. Does it work well in singapore and aligns and goto works well here. My scope is going to be a C6 oe C8 or a 120mm f/5 (maybe).
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Re: AZ Mount Options - Nexstar Evolution vs Ioptron Az Mount pro

Post by Bergkamp_ »

I have used both mounts.. Evolution and iOptron Minitower Pro

Ioptron doesn't have self alignment. The user need only confirm a bright object is in the center of the view, to activate tracking and GOTO functionality. Means it is similar to Skyalign from Celestron.

If alignment is the issue, Celestron got Starsense to aid you.

Both can work wirelessly.

I have use refractors on Evolution, no issue. Unless yours is a 5" refractor, then you might need to balance it creatively.

Between this 2 companies, you will find that it is easier to find solutions with Celestron as the user base is huge.

For updating the mount and accessories, Celestron can update wirelessly. Ioptron need to use serial port.

Both have similar running hours, more than enough for many nights.

Evolution mount has additional USB port to support your equipments.

Celestron provide SkyPortal for free to control wirelessly. If not spend 30 bucks to get Skysafari.
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .
akdwivedi

Post by akdwivedi »

thanks Bergkamp.. good to hear from someone who has used both.

The ioptron "level and go" option seems to be have some very favourable reviews on cloudynights and it certainly caught my eyes. The mount has built in GPS too. some videos on youtube make it appear that the slewing noise on Az pro (since it uses different motors than mini tower) is very low.

I will check on star sense. I din see it as part of the mount. It appears an additional investment and is quite expensive for just the alignment. GPS is not a big problem, probably when we use it via app, it will work fine. I hope wifi on evolution works fine. there is some noise on celestron wifi issues not sure if evolution suffers from the same.
Bergkamp_
Favourite scope: Telescope that i can bring out

Post by Bergkamp_ »

For Ioptron - build in GPS to get location.
For Celestron Evolution - when connect with phone or tablet (it uses their GPS) get location.

Both mount need to be "level" then can go.

Both mount slewing noise - depend on the speed. Fastest speed abit louder. If normal speed, very little noise.

Evolution's wifi got no issue, maybe in the earlier days when it just came out. Celestron always update their software.

Yes Starsense is an additional accessories, Celestron does have a GPS adapter too (additional accessories)

One of the strong point for Ioptron is that you can mount 2 telescopes at the same time (additional accessories) one act as a counterweight.
Wee Ern aRmeD wiF Telescope reAdY tO taKe ovEr thE skY .. wIF jUst mY naKed eYEs .