Beginner's Scope - Skywatcher 130mm Truss Dob

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Gary

Re: Beginner's Scope - Skywatcher 130mm Truss Dob

Post by Gary »

How dare you go back on your words! LOLOLOLOL [smilie=expulsion.gif]
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
acc
Administrator
Favourite scope: Mag1 Instruments 12.5" Portaball

Post by acc »

cloud_cover wrote:Let us know how it tolerates high power :) I currently use a 5" Mak as my travel scope but that means a rather bulky tripod as well...
Sure if I really get it. I would primarily use the scope at lower powers though, for sweeping views of DSOs from a dark sky site. :)
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
acc
Administrator

Post by acc »

depardeuz wrote:@acc:

The truss system does have the problem of allowing stray light from the surroundings reflecting off its secondary mirror. A shroud is a must have.
Oh yes definitely would require a shroud, could easily make disposable ONS (one-night shrouds) using craft paper :-P

I am more concerned about the useability of the helical focuser though. Do you think it will handle larger/heavier eyepieces? Is the ep holder wobbly?
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
depardeuz
Favourite scope: 60x 80mm Spotting Scope

Post by depardeuz »

acc wrote:
depardeuz wrote:@acc:

The truss system does have the problem of allowing stray light from the surroundings reflecting off its secondary mirror. A shroud is a must have.
Oh yes definitely would require a shroud, could easily make disposable ONS (one-night shrouds) using craft paper :-P

I am more concerned about the useability of the helical focuser though. Do you think it will handle larger/heavier eyepieces? Is the ep holder wobbly?
I have tried loading the focuser with my 24mm baader and a 5x telextender. It held reasonably well with no noticeable wobble. However, I must caution that the helical focuser does not have an endpoint stopper (like those O-ring thingy people put at the end of some screw type assemblies) which can tell you that you have reached the end of the focusing ring. Unlike a rack and pinion, which will stop when it reach the end of the groove. So if you start rotating the whole setup too enthusiatically, you might end up having the whole thing drop out of the scope! (Worse case scenrio) But then again, in a rack and pinion, you will feel the weight of the ep while you focus. Some internet users actually tried to put a layer of the white plumber's tape around the focusing ring. I tried that but found the tape could not last more than a minute of use and instead created some tightness while focusing. One last thing, you cannot changeout the focuser and convert it into a rack and pinion. The focuser is part of the truss assembly. Modding the focuser will require some careful drilling and not sure if the truss frame can hold the weight without sagging.
Last edited by depardeuz on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seize the day!
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

Gary wrote:How dare you go back on your words! LOLOLOLOL [smilie=expulsion.gif]
Thousand apologies, pls! :mryellow:
Seize the day!
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

acc wrote:
cloud_cover wrote:Let us know how it tolerates high power :) I currently use a 5" Mak as my travel scope but that means a rather bulky tripod as well...
Sure if I really get it. I would primarily use the scope at lower powers though, for sweeping views of DSOs from a dark sky site. :)
With a 24mm baader hyperion ep, I could only see 2 out of the 3 stars on the belt of Orion. But I can frame the whole scabbard of Orion (with the Great Nebula) in it in my view with this scope.
Seize the day!
depardeuz

Post by depardeuz »

I have fashioned a shroud for my Heritage 130P Truss scope out of a black Rubber Exercise Mat I had purchased from Guardian Pharmacy! :mryellow:

These are my measurements. Just in case anyone decides to purchase a similar scope and has to undertake this task. Do note that the opening for the EP holder should be reduced from 2.1" to 2". I discovered the opening became slightly much bigger due to the sagging of the material.

Here's the pics of my scope with the shroud from various angles.
ImageImage

The material is wrapping around partially the OTA tube and the front part of the truss assembly. And thanks to gravity, the bottom part of the material is well away from the light path travelling in the OTA! I have added self-adhesive velcro to secure the shroud. The only con is that my wife said that it was a waste of the exercise mat to be cut up and actually be used to wrap a telescope. Ah well, I never was the sporty type anyway! [smilie=evil-smile.gif]

Ok, that's all! Have a great week ahead! [smilie=bye.gif]
Seize the day!
acc
Administrator

Post by acc »

Looks good! Thanks for sharing.
We do it in the dark...
Portaball 12.5"
Takahashi Mewlon 210
William Optics 110ED
...and all night long!
Gary

Post by Gary »

Nice! Thanks for sharing your DIY. You are going to get lots of exercise anyway putting on and off the shroud over many observations!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Jim McGill
Vendor

Post by Jim McGill »

depardeuz wrote:Image.

Comparison of my new Skywatcher Heritage 130p Truss Dob. As promised, the scope was delivered on Boxing Day. But I only managed to check out the scope late in the evening. Found the primary mirror to be less than desired

Image.

Feedback to Mcgill since their Service line is open till midnight. Uploaded the picture of the primary mirror but the service staff found nothing wrong with the primary mirror. I though how could it be? He wanted me to highlight the particles and hence, I did. He was kinda defensive and told me that a Newtonian can function even with a few particles. I was taken aghast by that reply. Their definition of a "clean" primary mirror for the customer is just plain not professional. I reasoned that it looked as if I have been using the scope for a couple of years. After some questioning then he agreed to feedback to his supplier and request that I wait for a few days. I felt that had the staff been less defensive and work with me on the issue, I would have felt better. But the overall experience with them, is really not good. Probably this would be my last deal with them though there aren't many dealers who brings in telescopes in Singapore. But I must admit that their prices are competitive and rather attractive compared to one buying it from ebay. Especially, it comes with their local 1 year warrenty.
Hi Honglian,

Thanks for your feedback.

By the way, you are very creative in producing a customized shroud for this Heritage 130P! Cool job, Bro!

Cheers and clear sky,
Jim, McGill.
http://www.mcgill.com.sg
Last edited by Jim McGill on Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.