Lunt 60 : need advise

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Terirapt

Lunt 60 : need advise

Post by Terirapt »

Hi,

I have recently purchased the Lunt 60 (single stack, pressure tune)

I am getting a red glow background (should I expect a black background?), and also the details on the sun surface have rather low contrast; maybe I am expecting too much?

Appreciate any advise, especially those who has the Lunt 60.
Thank you.
Gary

Re: Lunt 60 : need advise

Post by Gary »

Terirapt wrote:Hi,

I have recently purchased the Lunt 60 (single stack, pressure tune)

I am getting a red glow background (should I expect a black background?), and also the details on the sun surface have rather low contrast; maybe I am expecting too much?

Appreciate any advise, especially those who has the Lunt 60.
Thank you.
Hi Terirapt. Welcome to the forum. Perhaps you can disclose when you did the observation? If there are other solar observers at the same time, they may be able to give you feedback whether the good or poor sky condition then is a factor.
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
Terirapt

Post by Terirapt »

Hi,

I was doing observation a few times the last couple of weeks. The latest was Saturday 31 Aug afternoon at about 4pm.
Thank you.
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Post by Davegn »

Terirapt wrote:Hi,

I was doing observation a few times the last couple of weeks. The latest was Saturday 31 Aug afternoon at about 4pm.
Thank you.
Hi terirapt

Do let us know more about the sky condition.
I suspect is due to the high haze or bad sky conditions.
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
Terirapt

Post by Terirapt »

Hi,

I am quite new to solar observation so not too sure how to describe the sky conditions : the weather was clear, with very strong and intense sunlight; there were light clouds, does not look hazy though.

Guess I will use it more, and learn to recognise sky conditions. My only concern now is that there may be something wrong with the scope, and I hope to return it soon I can confirm it is faulty.

Any advise on how to check that the scope?

I have checked :
- blocking filter : optical elements look clear.
- front element : clear too.
- etalon : not sure how to check. But I read that etalons (even on same models) do have their own characteristics; and some will perform better than others.

Perhaps a good way is for me to learn is from a fellow Lunt 60 user and view through his/her scope so I will know how a good scope would work.

Thank you all.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Terirapt wrote:the weather was clear, with very strong and intense sunlight; there were light clouds, does not look hazy though.
The thin clouds in front of the Sun? Strong sunlight may not be sufficient. Best is if you can see the Sun disc clearly with proper solar filters of course! Get a good paper solar filter for quick checks of the solar clarity in the shade before standing near your setup.

Did you try to turn the pressure knob slowly all the way back and forth while looking at the Sun?

Dave have a Lunt. Bring yours to his workplace during his lunch break and "harass" him. :P
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.