DIY Barn Door Tracker

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
DCWZ

DIY Barn Door Tracker

Post by DCWZ »

Wondering if anyone has made a barn door tracker before? I know there was a post previously on this forum regarding that, but unfortunately the pictures are currently inaccessible. I would mainly just like to know where I can get most of the materials, such as customised wood boards, gears, nuts and bolts and threaded rods and motors?
Can anyone also share their experience using this or other star trackers at low latitudes like SG where Polaris is not visible? How do we align to true north?
geyes30

Re: DIY Barn Door Tracker

Post by geyes30 »

Wood: Tombalek.com

Hardware: RS Components or Monotaro

Alignment to Polaris is really only necessary if doing high power and/or super long exposure. In my opinion, neither is recommended for a barndoor tracker. Just point roughly north and level, and shoot wide.
DCWZ

Post by DCWZ »

geyes30 wrote:Wood: Tombalek.com

Hardware: RS Components or Monotaro

Alignment to Polaris is really only necessary if doing high power and/or super long exposure. In my opinion, neither is recommended for a barndoor tracker. Just point roughly north and level, and shoot wide.
Thanks so much for the help!

I'm kinda curious if there are any cheaper options of star trackers compared to the Vixen Polarie. The lowest cost alternative I have now is the SkyWatcher Star Adventurer. Any reviews or even better recommendations?

Meanwhile, if there are any more resources or ideas for a barn door tracker, do still let me know!
Sivakis
Favourite scope: Astrotech AT66ED APO

Post by Sivakis »

Late late reply, but I made 1 rudimentary tracker long ago. Since then dismantled after I got a geared EQ.

Something like this?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9676