Orion EQ-G in Singapore

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
Drpepper143
Favourite scope: Skywatcher 120ED

Orion EQ-G in Singapore

Post by Drpepper143 »

Hi guys.

Moved back from the US last year, shipped all my astro equipment with me (1 mount in a pelican case, 2 refractors in their cases and a zwo ASI 1600 pro). Since the skies were clear tonight I tried to set it up. Then I realised how pampered I was at 30 Deg latitude with an easy view of Polaris. So after figuring out north using my phone's compass and some agaration, I maxxed out my mount (Orion EQ-G Atlas)'s latitude to 1 degree. Connected everything up, got ready to calibrate the Goto, clicked to slew the mount to Orion that was high up in the sky, and then.... Loud gnashing noise. Turns out the housing has some protrusion that got stuck against the polar alignment altitude lever (hope I haven't spoiled my precious mount now).

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do you guys deal with this, other than throw money at the problem and buy a new mount? Make the tripod legs a bit sengeh, and up the inclination? Otherwise I can't get any lower than 4-5 degrees without it scraping past that lever....

p.s. now my mount makes a clicking noise while it's holding position and phd2 just refuses to calibrate :(
SKSng
Favourite scope: 250PDS

Re: Orion EQ-G in Singapore

Post by SKSng »

Hi,
Wonder if you have any updates on your solutions?
I just moved to sg with my AZ EQ6 & set up at window; only a small patch of sky but ok lah.
But drift aligning 60degs away from meridian-equator for azimuth is proving to be harder than I thot....
& I thought it shld be no different fr what I've been doing for yrs...
For tripod, I tilted rear leg up & secure down with steel cables to furniture; seems very secured.
Would like to know how you solve your probs; I'm thinking going AZ mode but can't find a connection for Skywatcher AZ mode via ASCOM. EQMOD only EQ.
Thanks in adv!
SK