Skywatcher az gti

Here is the place to talk about all those equipment(Telescope, Mounts, Eyepieces, etc...) you have. Not sure which scope/eyepiece is best for you? Trash it out here!
akdwivedi
Favourite scope: celestron C6

Skywatcher az gti

Post by akdwivedi »

I see a lot of people using skywatcher az gti. Quite interested in this mount, I purchased one. Its quite an amazing mount. I have been using this in alt-az mode for over 2 weeks now.

From cloudynights and other forums, I understand that this can be used on EQ mode as well, but I am not sure which wedge to use, There are split opinions but none of them seem to be support 1Deg North latitudes.

I would love to hear which wedge do you use with this mount. It would also be great if you share a picture of your setup.

thanks.
Ashar
Favourite scope: Sky-Watcher Heritage 150P

Re: Skywatcher az gti

Post by Ashar »

Hi there! If you haven't already purchased a mount and wedge already, apparently the wedge intended for the Star Adventurer works as well and McGill has a kit which has all of the items for EQ and whatnot included
akdwivedi

Post by akdwivedi »

thanks bro.. I had the mount even before I posted the message but used only in alt az mode for visual only. Its a fantastic mount for that purpose. I have seen the skywatcher wedge and the adapter to mount az gti in equatorial mode, it works well. I have done a couple of tests, but I am not a AP guy, requires lots of patience and image processing. I will try some day with just my camera lens some day once the clouds clear up.
Moller
Favourite scope: Skywatcher

Post by Moller »

Hi, I'm a beginner on this hobby. I bought the az gte mount, which alignment works best? North and Level?
And is this alignment process a one off or everytime when I setup my scope, I need to re-do the alignment? Help from the masters is appreciated 🙏
akdwivedi

Post by akdwivedi »

Hi. welcome to singastro.. The skywatcher az gte/gti is a fantastic little mount. its my grab and go mount for observations and I use it mostly in alt az mode. I have updated the firmware to the latest version (right arm mounted telescope) which also supports eq mode. I had a few sessions in eq mode and it does work well.

Most of us dont have dedicated observatories, so we setup the mount/scope and after observations we tear it down.. so every time we setup, we have to align the scope, unless you are using it in a observatory, permanently mounted on a pier or tripod which doesnt move.

For alignment purposes, I level the tripod and mount and point the scope to north. Please note that if you are using default firmware, then the telescope is mounted to the left of the mount. If you are using latest updated firmware (download from skywatcher.com), then the telescope is mounted to the right of the mount. I normally just use single star alignment or two star alignment method and it works fine. that gives me decently enough goto accuracy.