Solar cycle 25

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
yltansg
Favourite scope: Borg 76 + Solar Scope SF50

Re: Solar cycle 25

Post by yltansg »

Dear Mr Chia and Solar enthusiasts,

I made 37 H-Alpha video recordings of AR2824 on 23 May 21. 33 recordings that had fair to good quality were conducted into 33 still photos and made into an animated gif. You can see the amazing plasma activities near AR 2824 from 9:30 am to 10:05 am:

Enjoy it.

Alfred
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Hi Alfred
Amazing quality photos/video.
Really fantastic and amazing.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Today sun.....
In 540nm..... Sunspot 2827 shot up on the northern belt as 3 small spots in sequence. Elsewhere its blank sun.
In cak..... 3 bright regions show up.., 2 in the northern belt including region 2827,and one in the southern belt.
In Ha 0.5A bandwidth.....
Some small filaments in the region behind 2824.,2827 show up as a bright region and a few filaments show up in the southern belt.
Overall, activities were low.
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Sun, 17th june 2021
In 540nm..... Only sunspot 2833 visible as a spot surrounded by a uniform lighter penumbra., a normal uninteresting view.
In Ha 0.5A bandwidth...... Northern belt with 2833
as a region brighter as followed by several filaments. At the edge several normal sizes prominence visible. On the same belt is another bright region., now rotating out of view.
In Cak...... Both northern and southern belt show up as active. In the northern belt, those mentioned in Ha seen as bright region. However in the middle of the southern belt 2 bright regions that didn't show up on Ha and 540nm can be seen.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Thanks Mr Chia for sharing your observation on 17 June. AR2833 looks stable and quiet. May not flare the rest of its earh-ward facing journey. According to STEREO, we should see 2 large active region byend of this week. Cheers.

Alfred
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

23June21. A stable and quiet sunspot was moving towards the Western limb. I photographed it both in CAK and H-Alpha wavelength:

Alfred
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

1July. Active Region 2835 looks potent this morning. The following image was captured using a Celestron C11 and Calcium-k filter.

Enjoy.

Alfred
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Thanks Alfred for the photo. Impressive.
Today's 1 july 2021 sun.
In 540nm..... 2835 is large. That's what sunspots should look like. The main spot has a huge umbra with a large penumbra region. As seen in Alfred photo there is a large number of smaller spots around it. Its in the southern belt.
Also in the northern belt is 2 very small sunspots
In Cak..... 2835 show up as a spotted region in the southern belt, glowing brighter than the rest of the sun.
2 glowing regions in the northern belt one associated with 2837 and the other on its own with no sunspot.
In Ha 0.5A bandwidth...... Same 3 regions glowing., with a flame like prominence rotating into view.
Region 2837 and the unspoted region both were dominated with many small filaments. However 2835 only has 1 small filament.
For this once we have sunspot that are similar to the sunspots of the past 2 cycles. Good sign for more activities.
yltansg

Post by yltansg »

superiorstream wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:19 am
In Ha 0.5A bandwidth...... Same 3 regions glowing., with a flame like prominence rotating into view.
Region 2837 and the unspoted region both were dominated with many small filaments. However 2835 only has 1 small filament.
For this once we have sunspot that are similar to the sunspots of the past 2 cycles. Good sign for more activities.
Mr Chia, I also did some images in HA:

This is AR2835 with its umbra, penumbra and fibrils:

Both AR2835 and AR2836 are featured below:

AR2836:

Please do a right click to see the images in their full resolution.

Alfred
superiorstream

Post by superiorstream »

Thanks Alfred for the photo,.. Nice.
Today's sun.... 22 july 2021
In 540nm.... Although spaceweather indicates 6 sunspots visible, my system only can see 3.,namely 2845,2846, and 2848.All have dipole structures..... Namely just 2 spots. All of them are small dots.
In Ha 0.5A bandwidth....
Both northern and southern belt has 3 active regions..... One at each edge and one somewhere near the middle. Each are small however and didn't exhibit intense glow., suggesting that activities are mild.
In Cak...... Same 6 regions are glowing in cak.
Again glow isn't that intense.

Given the upping of number of active regions
clearly solar activities are on the rise., but one thing I really can't comprehend....
WHY ARE SUNSPOTS IN THIS CYCLE..... AT LEAST UP TO NOW..... SO SMALL IN SIZE.
ITS NOT LIKE THAT IN THE LAST 3 SOLAR CYCLES THAT I HAD OBSERVED.
ANYWAY I AM GLAD I HAD BOUGHT MY INSTRUMENTS THEN, IF NOT ITS REALLY REGRETIBLE., ESPECIALLY MY Ha AND Cak
INSTRUMENTS AND WATCH THOSE NICE ACTIVITIES IN CAK AND HA IN THE LAST CYCLE.