Bishan Park Meteor shower watch (7/8/2013 - 11/8/2013)

Alright, this is for sharing of your observation experience. Or, if you are arranging gatherings, star-gazing expeditions or just want some company to go observing together, you can shout it out here.
Davegn
Favourite scope: 94" Ritchey Chrétien reflector telescope

Bishan Park Meteor shower watch (7/8/2013 - 11/8/2013)

Post by Davegn »

Weather permitting, Some of us will be conducting a Meteor shower watch at Bishan Park over the course of this week long weekend (7/8/2013 - 11/8/2013).

For tonight:
Date: 10/8/2013
Time: From 9.30PM onwards
Venue: the field oppsite Bishan Park's McDonald's (Lawn 1)

Feel free to join us.
All are welcome to join in the fun with or without telescope.

Remember to wear long pants and shoes as there might be mossies there.
Please also be along ground sheets too!

For real-time updates please see: http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy

See you there soon!
Last edited by Davegn on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Ng
Bishan Park SideWalk Astronomy
http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy
Gary

Re: Bishan Park Meteor shower watch (7/8/2013 - 11/8/2013)

Post by Gary »

Weather permitting, I will be there. :)

There may be a special first-light appearance by a telescope there tonight (not mine). :)

There is a 24 hr shop along Bishan Street 22 (near bus stop). If the weather good, one may buy picnic stuff there - mats, portable fan, insect repellent, drinks. McDonald's in the park is only opened up to 2am.

The hawker centre nearby there is also 24 hours.

Today is already eve of Public Holiday, so the Night Rider NR1 bus should be active.

Anyone driving and lugging telescope stuff need help can contact us. We can help unload and carry to ob site while you go and park your vehicle.

Those who are on twitter, you may follow @astrosg for latest updates. Hashtag is #meteorsg.

Good luck and clear skies!
http://www.astro.sg
email: gary[at]astro.sg
twitter: @astrosg

"The importance of a telescope is not how big it is, how well made it is.
It is how many people, less fortunate than you, got to look through it."
-- John Dobson.
DarthCryder
Favourite scope: Nikon 85mm/f1.4 lens

Post by DarthCryder »

seem like the next 1-2hrs, the NE sky shld be clear...
Davegn

Post by Davegn »

Weather permitting, Some of us will be conducting a Meteor shower watch at Bishan Park over the course of this week long weekend (7/8/2013 - 11/8/2013).

For tonight:
Date: 10/8/2013
Time: From 9.30PM onwards
Venue: the field oppsite Bishan Park's McDonald's (Lawn 1)

Feel free to join us.
All are welcome to join in the fun with or without telescope.

Remember to wear long pants and shoes as there might be mossies there.
Please also be along ground sheets too!

For real-time updates please see: http://www.facebook.com/SingaporeSidewalkAstronomy

See you there soon!
Dave Ng
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Post by Airconvent »

Hi Dave
Just noticed that you have moved your "camp" away from the supper source-cum-toilet. Mac complaining or you now upgrading to fainter DSOs?
Keep it up. A bad sinus problem and work work work has been keeping me away from many events these past few weeks. As if I have gone radio silence! Need to wait till my nose gets better...Anyway, have fun in your session tomorrow and clear skies to you...and Gary too at Toa Payoh.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
Gary

Post by Gary »

McD complaining because we are not attracting more potential customers to them last night! :P

This temporary change is event specific as we also need more open space to lie down to do meteor hunting. After this event, should be going back to McD for our regular sidewalks there.

Had a nice session a few hours ago. Groups of people joining us for overnight meteor hunting fully equipped with picnic mats and making use of the row of wooden lawn chairs. Awesome sight to see people looking up the skies as I walked along the path towards the telescope deployment area. Some of them saw about 4 meteors though not all of them were Perseids.

We brought some telescopes and they had nice views of Albireo, Vega, Andromeda and Pleiades. Also spent sometime doing constellation public talk under the stars - show them how to find summer triangle and great square of pegasus, understanding the different types of telescopes deployed and upcoming astro events.

Personally very happy to see Pleiades again in an 8" dob and through an Explore Scientific 24mm 82 deg afov eyepiece on a 5" newt. Always fun to have great company under the stars.

Big thanks to Dave for organising the successful meteor shower event!

[smilie=good-job.gif]

-- John Dobson.
bornfree
Favourite scope: Still searching for "The Eye"

Post by bornfree »

Not forgetting M22, M6, M7, M8. It was overall a very nice experience. Worth all the loss of sleep.
Born to be Free
Davegn

Post by Davegn »

Not forgetting
m31 m45 ngc6231 and Albireo
Dave Ng
Gary

Post by Gary »

I old leow. Keep forgetting things. Thanks for the reminder. [smilie=embarrassed.gif]

I will be at Bishan Park tonite from 7:30pm doing binocular astronomy & #meteorsg hunting/reporting. Feel free to join me & chat about astro!

-- John Dobson.
Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks to all who came for the meteor hunting event!

Glad to see landscape astrophotographers mingling with each other and sharing tips on photography and darks spots in Singapore. Live demo of shooting Milky Way right here in Singapore - what a way to break the ice among photographers! Had a good session introducing binocular astronomy to a few people.

Sky was clear for the first half of the overnight session. Clearest Saggi, Sco, Saturn, Arcturus and Summer Triangle constellations we have seen since last Wednesday. Moon was awesome too and very near Spica - great view through a bino. Saw some cool stuff through someone's new toys fresh off the UPS oven. :)

A group of students saw about 6 meteors from 00:45 to 01:45 this morning! So happy for them. The were there on Saturday too. Great reward for their persistence!

Very happy to meet one my of earliest twitter follower who came all the way from the north and stayed overnight. Had a great chat with him about the astro/nature society scene in Singapore and Malaysia among many other things.

From some online feedback and last night's obervation, this year's Perseid peak ZHR seems to be lower than normal. High haze and clouds rolled in later from about 3am+.

Though I did not see any meteor myself for the past few days, I am extremely happy to see some local residents getting excited about the event on social media and forums and posting their meteor sightings.

-- John Dobson.