M10 and M12 Globular Clusters

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
celeron787

M10 and M12 Globular Clusters

Post by celeron787 »

With a recent lack of clear night skies, I had to grab this small window of opportunity last night when there was a short window of clear night skies. Following the GE count along the way too.
Also 1st light for my new Samyang 135mm F2.0 lens. The capability of this lens was apparent when both clusters showed up in just a single 20secs exposure in my Bortle 8 area. Using 30secs exposure at F2 was pushing the histogram over the halfway point.
Focusing was also easy with a 3D-printed Bhatinov mask.

Despite only about 30mins of integration time in total, I'm quite happy with the result.

Messier 10 and 12 (also designated NGC 6218) are globular clusters of stars in the equatorial constellation of Ophiuchus.
M12 is positioned just 3° from the cluster M10, and the two are among the brightest of the seven Messier globulars located in Ophiuchus, apparent magnitude of 6.4 for M10 and 7.7 for M12. Both globular clusters can be observed easily with a pair of binoculars.

Equipment
Sony A6000
Samyang 135mm F2.0
Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer
Tripod

Acquisition
ISO400
Light frames - 51 x 20secs
Dark Frames - 30 x 20secs
Flat Frames - 30
Bias Frames - 30

Software and Processing
Deep Sky Stacker
Photoshop - Crop, levels stretch, gradient removal using Dust and Scratches filter, levels stretch, Luminance mask
Lightroom - Adjusted highlights and saturation

Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: M10 and M12 Globular Clusters

Post by Airconvent »

Nice image. 2 Globulars in one image. Able to zoom in for 2 separate portraits ? :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
celeron787

Post by celeron787 »

Airconvent wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:51 pm Nice image. 2 Globulars in one image. Able to zoom in for 2 separate portraits ? :)
Thanks! You can see the full size image here, I could crop it further into 2 separate images, but I kinda prefer the widefield one showing both clusters.

I might attempt it again as individual shots with my redcat51, but polar alignment isn't as forgiving at that focal length.
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

Post by rifleman175 »

Great wide angle shot you captured there!

Looking forward to your Redcat51 portraits of these 2 objects in the future! Polar alignment isn't that demanding at FL < 400mm though you'll find.