Annoying dark bands in astrophotos from Canon M50

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Annoying dark bands in astrophotos from Canon M50

Post by hhzhang »

I noticed something like a narrow darken bar overlay in my stacked photos.

At home I took dark frames, dark flat frames, flat frames and bias frames. After applying these frames to stacking, the dark bar overlay just did not go away.

I then set to investigate it to understand what went wrong.

In my early collection of master dark frames, the ISO400-30s one shows the most prominent problem. And the dark bar only appears in the "R" channel.

Note that I am not debayering the raw data, simply splitting the RGGB into separate images. And all the images are equalized in GIMP.

I did more tests. Unfortunately the results are inconsistent: under the same ISO, the pattern varied significantly.

Lastly, I tried to see if temperature plays a role here. Many many frames later and after stacking subgroups of frames, I arrived at this picture -- all the master frames (as sub-pictures here) are equalized together so that pixel values can be compared directly.

Evidently, temperature is indeed a key factor here. The bad dark band in R channel becomes visible after the temperature exceeds 35c-36c.

Now the question turns out to be: how to control the camera temperature in the warm and humid local weather?
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

Re: Annoying dark bands in astrophotos from Canon M50

Post by rifleman175 »

As far as I know, there is no way to control sensor temperature for DSLRs, the only way is to upgrade to a cooled CMOS/CCD camera if you are serious about astrophotography. The most popular brands are ZWO and QHY.
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Re: Annoying dark bands in astrophotos from Canon M50

Post by hhzhang »

rifleman175 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:07 pm As far as I know, there is no way to control sensor temperature for DSLRs, the only way is to upgrade to a cooled CMOS/CCD camera if you are serious about astrophotography. The most popular brands are ZWO and QHY.
Well I have already got a small astro cam (ASI183MM Pro). But it is always fun to explore the full potentials of DSLR/mirrorless - - especially being encouraged by other fellow astrophotographers here doing that.