WIP: M16 Eagle Nebula

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
rifleman175
Favourite scope: Skywatcher Esprit 100ED

WIP: M16 Eagle Nebula

Post by rifleman175 »

This is my first attempt at long exposure astrophotography using the C8 EdgeHD with the 0.7x reducer/flattener on a bright emission nebula target. I have to say that while the single 5 min H-alpha sub really blew me away, I had evidently some trouble with differential flexure at this high focal length resulting in star trailing. However if one ignores the stars for a moment, I am still quite satisfied with the amount of details that can be resolved, with the cold molecular clouds clearly visible against the bright ionised gas in the background. The famed Pillars of Creation region takes centre stage in all its majesty.

Details of capture:

Set-up: Celestron C8 EdgeHD + 0.7x Focal Reducer/Flattener + ASI1600MM Pro + Optolong H-alpha filter
Lights: 51 x 5min, -10C
Darks: 50 x 5min, -10C
Flats: 100x 1s, -10C
Bias: 50x 32us, -10C
Date of Capture: 7, 8 Aug

Afterwards I captured some OIII data and combined with the Ha to make a OHO duo-colour image as follows:

Set-up: Celestron C8 EdgeHD + 0.7x Focal Reducer/Flattener + ASI1600MM Pro + Optolong H-alpha filter
Lights:
Ha: 51 x 5min, -10C
OIII: 20x 5min, -10C
Darks: 50 x 5min, -10C
Flats:
Ha: 100x 1s, -10C
OIII: 50x 0.5s, -10C
Bias: 50x 32us, -10C

Date of Capture: 7, 8, 11 Aug

Hopefully I'll be able to get more clear nights to complete this image in full Hubble Palette!
Last edited by rifleman175 on Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: WIP: M16 Eagle Nebula

Post by Airconvent »

Hi
Your image cannot be seen. Maybe want to check the link.
The link inside the tags must end with .jpg :)
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets