M46, M47 Star Clusters and a Planetary Nebula

CCD vs Film? Lots of time vs no patience? Alright, this is your place to discuss all the astrophotography what's and what's not. You can discuss about techniques, accessories, cameras, whatever....just make sure you also post some nice photos here too!
celeron787

M46, M47 Star Clusters and a Planetary Nebula

Post by celeron787 »

2 star clusters and a planetary nebula.
Finally having a go at this target which was on my list since starting this hobby, was attracted by the tiny planetary nebula in M46. 
Only managed less than 1hr of imaging but quite happy with the outcome.

M46 (bottom center) and M47 (top center) are two bright clusters in the constellation of Puppis. They are separated by a bit more than one degree.
M46 is a very rich cluster and also contains planetary nebula NGC 2438 which can be seen in the image as a small green disk. Both objects can be well seen through binoculars or low power telescopes. Near M47, there are 2 other clusters, NGC 2423 and the smaller NGC 2425.

There's an unidentified cluster at the left side?

View plate-solved version here: https://nova.astrometry.net/annotated_full/4885481

Sony A6000
Samyang 135mm F2.0
Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer
Tripod

Bortle 8
ISO400
Light frames - 176 x 15secs (manually dithered in RA and DEC)
Dark Frames - 30 x 15secs
Flat Frames - 30
Bias Frames - 50

Deep Sky Stacker
StarTools - 50% Bin, Autodev, Crop, Wipe, Super Structure, Super Structure, Color
Lightroom - Purple defringe, Blacks

celeron787

Re: M46, M47 Star Clusters and a Planetary Nebula

Post by celeron787 »

2nd attempt at both clusters this time with the Redcat51 and a different ISO setting.
Only managed 30mins integration time before high clouds came in.

Sony A6000
William Optics RedCat 51 Petzval APO
Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer
Tripod

Bortle 8
ISO800
Light frames - 87 x 20secs (manually dithered in RA and DEC)
Dark Frames - 30 x 20secs
Flat Frames - 30
Bias Frames - 50

Deep Sky Stacker
StarTools - 50% bin, Autodev, Crop, Wipe, Super Structure, Decon, Color, Super Structure, Denoise
Lightroom - Saturation brush

hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Post by hhzhang »

Is the Redcat your new toy? Beautiful stars and the nebula!

I am a fan of star images more than of nebulosity ones. And they are easier to capture than nebulosities (including galaxies) from a light-polluted city.

Always enjoy viewing these images in a dark environment to appreciate the true beauty.

Let's get out and shoot, don't let the clear skies the next few nights get wasted.
celeron787

Post by celeron787 »

hhzhang wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:28 pm Is the Redcat your new toy? Beautiful stars and the nebula!

I am a fan of star images more than of nebulosity ones. And they are easier to capture than nebulosities (including galaxies) from a light-polluted city.

Always enjoy viewing these images in a dark environment to appreciate the true beauty.

Let's get out and shoot, don't let the clear skies the next few nights get wasted.
Haha yes, I had the redcat for quite some time but didn't use it for DSO as I had a hard time getting consistent polar alignment with it on the Star Adventurer. So for last year, I used it for Lunar shots and the conjunction event (not the best focal length for it too).
So my proper first light with it was for the M42 I did in Jan.
Looking forward to get more photos with it, but need to improve my polar alignment first. Any tips perhaps?
hhzhang
Favourite scope: 115mm APO

Post by hhzhang »

celeron787 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:55 pm
hhzhang wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:28 pm Is the Redcat your new toy? Beautiful stars and the nebula!

Haha yes, I had the redcat for quite some time but didn't use it for DSO as I had a hard time getting consistent polar alignment with it on the Star Adventurer. So for last year, I used it for Lunar shots and the conjunction event (not the best focal length for it too).
So my proper first light with it was for the M42 I did in Jan.
Looking forward to get more photos with it, but need to improve my polar alignment first. Any tips perhaps?
I tried my best to reach precision polar alignment. Then found out the tracker's RA errors are a serious problem whenever I attempt longer FL + longer subs. I ended up with getting a cheap guide scope of FL 130mm and a guide cam. It allows me to take longer subs on the tracker. Well, I have moved from the tracker to another portable mount ioptron Smart EQ so that I can go longer in the subs - and the ASCOM link to PC is equally if not more important for me. Now the 70mm scope and the mini EQ mount is so portable that I can easily carry everything from car park to obs site hundreds of meters away on feet, or even use my bike to reach places not too far from home.
Last edited by hhzhang on Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joachim.ong
Favourite scope: 150cm Telescope at Gunma Observatory

Post by joachim.ong »

celeron787 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:58 am Image
Ooh I like this, nice star field showing the two clusters!
celeron787

Post by celeron787 »

joachim.ong wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:08 am
celeron787 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:58 am Image
Ooh I like this, nice star field showing the two clusters!
Thanks!
celeron787

Post by celeron787 »

hhzhang wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:45 am

I tried my best to reach precision polar alignment. Then found out the tracker's RA errors are a serious problem whenever I attempt longer FL + longer subs. I ended up with getting a cheap guide scope of FL 130mm and a guide cam. It allows me to take longer subs on the tracker. Well, I have moved from the tracker to another portable mount ioptron Smart EQ so that I can go longer in the subs - and the ASCOM link to PC is equally if not more important for me. Now the 70mm scope and the mini EQ mount is so portable that I can easily carry everything from car park to obs site hundreds of meters away on foots, or even use my bike to reach places not too far from home.

I see, I did look at the smart eq pro+ but I excluded it as I'm not too sure of it's build quality and I don't see much people using it too. Settled with the SWSA which is more tried and tested.