DIY 8"F/6 Planetary Scope from Shelves and IKEA table

Wanna make a scope? Or better still, grind a mirror yourself. Or, you have some good tips in making a really useful accessory? This is the place to show what your hands can do...
geyes30

DIY 8"F/6 Planetary Scope from Shelves and IKEA table

Post by geyes30 »

Made a planetary scope from a bunch of shelves, some plywood, and a GSO mirror.

Image2018-05-22_10-37-20 by Cyrus Beh, on Flickr

Balances very well, and seems to have pretty good mechanics. Can't wait to test it out soon!
Airconvent
Super Moderator

Re: DIY 8"F/6 Planetary Scope from Shelves and IKEA table

Post by Airconvent »

Adventures in recycling...haha. Nice scope! Maybe can get Ikea into the Dob business too.
The Boldly Go Where No Meade Has Gone Before
Captain, RSS Enterprise NCC1701R
United Federation of the Planets
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

hmm so the hex things were the ikea shelves?

i have a lot of trouble cutting angles into plywood to make those hex shapes.. what i did before was a box.
geyes30

Post by geyes30 »

Nope. I got the shelves from a local carpenter through carousell. The table is from IKEA and has been converted to the rocker box
Yong54321
Favourite scope: Dobson

Post by Yong54321 »

Hi

Good to see you have done it. I am a beginner and want to buy a dob 6 inch but find it too heavy and expensive to import here. It costs about $650 to bring in from bh for a skywatcher. I wonder why an 6 inch dob needs to be heavy like 18kg. The mirror is only about 1kg. I am thinking of building a light weight version where i can bring for travel.

what online shop do you buy your GSO mirror? What is the total weight of your assemblied Dob telescope?

Thanks very much.
geyes30

Post by geyes30 »

Yong54321 wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:17 pm Hi

Good to see you have done it. I am a beginner and want to buy a dob 6 inch but find it too heavy and expensive to import here. It costs about $650 to bring in from bh for a skywatcher. I wonder why an 6 inch dob needs to be heavy like 18kg. The mirror is only about 1kg. I am thinking of building a light weight version where i can bring for travel.

what online shop do you buy your GSO mirror? What is the total weight of your assemblied Dob telescope?

Thanks very much.
Sorry I missed this question. The GSO mirror was bought from Agena AstroProducts. The total weight is very heavy, though I don't have a scale to weight it. I have another project with a ultraportable Dob, that weighs around 9kg.
orly_andico

Post by orly_andico »

You can get the Skywatcher 8" dobsonian through Amazon.sg for $625 all-in (that is inclusive of shipping and GST!)

https://www.amazon.sg/Sky-Watcher-S1161 ... 00Z4G3PRK/

You do need to have an Amazon Prime subscription, which is pretty cheap, you can even get it through Singtel.